Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Static IP Reverse DNS/PTR query solved but not solved

carneety
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, appreciate this affects a spectacularly small number of Vodafone BB users but has anyone managed to resolve the issue of reverse DNS/PTR setup with a static IP?  I have been through to 2nd line tech support with no success (not sure they even understood the problem).  Like others have commented in similiar threads running your own email server doesn't work completely without the PTR record being setup and all the various help forums agree that this is a matter for the ISP to resolve.  As per the title of the post I followed the advice regarding the AS number on the [Solved] post but emails went to a black hole and no response.....

I had my email server running successfully with my previous ISP

Any help greatly appreciated from anyone who has fixed this issue

3 REPLIES 3

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

As PTR records are analogous to reverse DNS look ups - they prove that your email domain is what you say it is. It's pretty hard to implement these properly unless the Static IP has an associated domain name.  PTR records are then normally managed by the IP address owner (Vodafone not you), though they can delegate.  So even though I have domain names pointed at my IP address, getting a PTR record is pretty much out of the question.

Other ISPs have done this in the past!  Yup and got into a right mess over it too!

Thanks for the post, however, I was hoping to find out two things - one, why was the original post marked as solved when it doesn't appear to be and secondly why have half a dozen or so posts about this issue just tailed off with no clear outcome.  If VF can't/won't configure this why not just be clear about it?  It is odd that an ISP who doesn't provide any email service (or relay) should prevent someone from setting up their own by not implementing the static IP completely. 

My email server works perfectly with its own externally hosted domain except some email servers bounce the emails back with the no-PTR error and some others forward to the recipient spam folder - all email server checking tools like mxtoolbox report everything ok with the exception of the PTR. 

Is there anyone running their own email server on VF BB who has managed to resolve this issue without resorting to 3rd party paid services? (or dodgy free ones for that matter)

Grateful for any info or assistance

CrimsonLiar

It's just not something that you are going to be able to do with Vodafone's home offerings!  If you were with Vodafone Business, then yes it's going to be possible, but not home!