Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 Router Setup to TP-Link RE305 Extender

RFA3100
2: Seeker
ROUTER THG 3000 to TP-Link Extender Setup Problem
I recently renewed my Vodafone Broadband contract and upgraded to Super Fast 2.  
With the contract came a new THG 3000 router to upgrade my old Vodafone HHG 2500.
Setup all straight forward. 

As my house is quite large I have always used a TP-Link RE305 range extender.
The extender paired up easily to the router using the TP-Link Tether app and all the extender settings viewed via a web browser on my computer.

This is when things seemed to go wrong. When I tried to connect my phone, tablet (Android) and computer (MacBook) to the extender, it will not accept the setup password.
I have also tried a BT extender without success.
I have contacted Vodafone Support without any success, also TP-Link technical, they confirmed the extender is working correctly.

My question is, has anybody else experienced this problem, why does the HHG 2500 work ok and not the THG 3000?

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, let's play captain obvious here...

In the old days setting up such extenders was frankly a pain.  It should be much easier now, but have you tried completely resetting the extender and following the instructions like a complete pedant?

I'm kinda assuming you've done this already but...

PaulKerry

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem with this router. I switched from Bt to Vodafone recently and had a Netgear extender which worked perfectly with my BT router. The extender appeard to sync with the Vodafone router, all lights etc as they should be but when you try to input the password it gives the message password incorrect despit it being correct. I replaced the netgear with a new Joowin extender and the same problem occured. I replaced the joowin with a new 3 node mesh system. same problem again! I have spent approx 4 hours talking with vodafone customer service. They replaced my router. No difference, the problem still exists! This is absolutley a problem with this router and the Vodafone staff seem not skilled enough to resolve the issue. I am now frustrated enough to want to change back to BT!

Paul.

After yet another hour plus on the phone with Vodafone I have just been told that the THG3000 router is not compatible with WiFi extenders! Unacceptable!

Hi Paul

At least there are two of us with the same problem.  No doubt there are many more frustrated customers with the same problem.  

Perhaps Vodafone will take note and do something about it.

How on earth can a major provider be incapable of not checking basic operating functions before releasing a new product?

Regards 

Roy

Yes I’m having exactly this issue, same router, same extenders.

I've spent 3 weeks emailing tp-link support backwards and forwards with them asking me to change channel and check a few other bits.  
I am pretty IT literate, (I’m an IT Manager) and my partner is a technical services manager with networking experience and he’s spent the last 4 hours trying to get just one of them to work,

we just can’t make them work,

anyone know of any extenders that do work with this router?  I’m new to Vodafone so moving to BT isn’t really an option.

Hi   

The simple answer is that the THG3000 router will not work with RE305 Extender

I  up graded my Vodafone  HHG2500 to the THG3000 last year and spent hours trying to get it to work with a TP-link and BT extenders.  In the end I gave up, Vodafone technical admitted it will not work with both those makes.

My only solution was to go back to using the old HHG2500 router.

What is really annoying is that we have a community forum which I assume Vodafone monitor, but nobody can be bothered to post a notification of this problem or recommend a solution.

A final solution for you might be to go back to Vodafone and request an older and slower 'Huawei' router.

I managed to get hold of another THG3000 and have used that as an Extender, initially it didnt work so I just walked away....especially after reading some of the forum comments about THG3000s. I then thought I'd give it another go and it just worked 🙂  Dont know why as didnt do anything different to the first attempt...that being...change to the starting DHCP range on main router, changed IP on router 2 and turned off DCHP, run a cable between Lan ports....hey presto.

Like I said, did that first time round, nothing and then second time just worked ?!? go figure 

Hi guys,

I recently bought an AX1800 Netgear mesh extender and this does not work with the vodafone router. 

we have a thin but tall house and the router only reaches halfway. 

Major bummer, dont think this issue will ever get resolved, or allow me out of my broadband contract...

So the only solution i see here is to acquire another voda router and use the second as an extender?

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@WSnook37025 wrote:

I recently bought an AX1800 Netgear mesh extender and this does not work with the vodafone router. 

I've started this reply again.

The AX1800 appears to be a router not a mesh extender.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/rax20.pdf