Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 tether sharing & smart home

isp_john
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, this is definitely a more complex question. I'm trying to mesh together smart bulbs, switches etc using things like tuya & home assistant and thought maybe the THG3000 Router might work as a centre point for that.

The problem is I don't have a wired net connection. I do everything through my phone currently. I have unlimited data and and can hotspot tether the phone but was wondering if there is anyway I can tether it wirelessly to the router for redistribution? I know it'll accept a 4g dongle but that would require a second sim. I'm using a Samsung Note 10+ phone. I've tried connecting it via the USB and enabling connection sharing via every mode but not see it show up under sharable devices on the router itself. Was wondering if anyone more familiar with the router might know if this is possible or have managed it.

5 REPLIES 5

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

You'll need a router where you have access to the CLI (Command Line Interface) in order to set up the non-standard routing, and it'll take a little bit of know-how too.

That said...  If you are running Home Assistant on an SBC, why not just set up the SBC to act as router?

Thanks for the help, do you know if home assistant/tuya can run entirely from a phone (i.e. interface with bulbs without a wired router)? It's tricky trying to figure out all the details without having the components to hand; got a wifi bulb in the post.

CrimsonLiar

I'm in that crowd that tries to avoid Home Assistant!

You can certainly run the Tuya app just on a phone, depending on the device, you might need to have the phone set up as a hotspot.

Tuya/SmartHome (it's the same app) though supports a ton of devices, not just their own, but from many providers and using multiple protocols - some of which require a hub!

Some time back I picked up some Lidl smart bulbs and initially used the Lidl Smart Home app and the Lidl (Zigbee) hub.  I then swapped to the Tuya app, and it set up just as easily, but it gives the opportunity to add more different devices.  This is in addition to my Tapo, Shelly, Netatmo, Assa Abloy/Climax, & BGe devices.

Cynric

.@CrimsonLiar With all that lot connected your iptables config file must be a work of art. 😁

CrimsonLiar

Nope, other than the router only the Raspberry Pi (Pi-Hole, Plex etc) has a static IP, everything else is allocated by DHCP.  I have a small range of IP addresses (4-15) reserved for static IPs and another range (239-254) reserved for manual IPs which is rarely used.  If I were to use Home Assistant, the easy way for me at least would be to set the static IPs on most of the devices directly, rather than create the IP table manually on the router.  It's far quicker to set back up if the need arises.