Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VPN Passthrough problems

cwn316
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I'm new here and can't find the answer to the problem I am having.

Basically, I am working from home and I am having trouble connecting to my work's VPN server using the Draytek Samrt VPN client app / program I have installed and setup on my laptop. 

I am using a vodafone Gigabox router to connect to the internet, and when I connect my laptop directly to the router via. a network cable the VPN connects no problem. The connection also works fine if I just connect my laptop to the hotspot on my phone. 
However, if I just connect my laptop to my home router via. wifi and try to connect to my works VPN the Draytek smart VPN client gets stuck on authenticating and won't connect.

There must be some setting within the vodafone router blocking this wifi connection but I can't find an answer to what it might be. Internet works fine over wifi, its just the VPN connection which won't connect / being blocked.
I tried changing the DNS settings on my router to 8,8,8,8 as suggested by someone on here, and tried turning off the router firewall but the VPN connection still won't connect over wifi.

Anybody be able to help please?

4 REPLIES 4

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @cwn316 This certainly is a strange query 🤔 If you're having no issues connecting to anything else through your WiFi service, it sounds like your Gigacube is working correctly. The issue you're experiencing when connecting to your work VPN maybe connected to the VPN. Have you contacted Draytek, to see if there are any specific router/security settings this may require?

I haven't contacted Draytek, because I was thinking it was more to do with the vodafone router.

As I said, Its just strange that it connects ok via. wireless when I hotspot off my phone but not through wifi on the vodafone router..

That's why I was leaning more towards the vodafone router being the issue and possibly some setting in the router associated with for example the wifi, security, ports etc. which could be preventing the connection from fully establishing while connecting to it on wifi mode..

Thanks for that information @cwn316, it's strange that you can connect to the VPN using the router on an wired connection but not over WiFi. We would first recommend that you contact DrayTek on the link sent over Mark as they may have particular settings that's needed. You'll have to let us know how you get on and can you confirm if you're on one of our Pro Broadband packages? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's possible that there is a network driver that has only been enabled for your WifI and not the wired ethernet.  If you can get into the old-fashioned windows connection dialogs for your wired connection you may be able to spot something not enabled in the wired connection properties.