Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VPN, why does Vodafone block them?

NikkiJas
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I’ve seen several websites mention the advantages of setting up a VPN. Some even give you the top 10. Approx 6-8 weeks ago I tried clicking on the links to the VON website but they were blocked. Discussions with Vodafone seemed to unblock approx half of the top 10 recommended VPN companies. This week, back to square one, all VPN websites are blocked. Why are Vodafone blocking such website when many technical website suggest them for improved security? 

28 REPLIES 28

Jayach
16: Advanced member

They are not blocked for me. I use Nord without problems.

If you are saying the websites are blocked for you perhaps you need to turn off the content controls.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/webcenter/portal/myvodafone/pages_manageservices/managecontentcontrols

Hi, I went through this with Vodafone. My content controls havent changed since Vodafone themselves changed them to see if it would make any difference, and it didnt. Three weeks ago I could see the ExpressVPN, IPvanish, & Cyberghost websites. Within days Cyberghost was blocked again. Now i cannot access any VPN websites. If I have not touched my content controls, who is blocking these websites? 

Here's a solution that will work...
Log onto your vodafone router 192.168.1.1

It’s likely once you log in you’ll be in ‘basic’ mode. There should be a button to switch to ‘Expert’ mode (top right)– click this, and click OK on any scary warning saying ‘you really need to know what you’re doing’. Essentially, DNS settings are hidden outside of ‘Expert’ or ‘Advanced’ modes.

Inside your router settings panel they’ll be a DNS option – select this and it’ll display your current settings – likely to be set on ‘Auto’ or similar default (unless you’ve changed them previously).

Switch to ‘manual’ which should then prompt you to enter a primary DNS server IP and an optional secondary DNS server IP. In these boxes, you should enter the IP addresses of your preferred DNS service.

If you don’t have one in mind, Google’s public DNS is a good place to start (and will ‘unblock’ sites like Disqus!) so change your settings to:

Primary DNS Server: 8 . 8 . 8 . 8
Secondary DNS Server: 8 . 8 . 4 . 4

This will bypass Vodafone VPN website name blocking 

Hi, thanks for responding.

This hasnt anything to do with content controls. I dont see how VPN websites can be deemed malicious websites. Ive played around with the content controls, as requested by Vodafone support, no difference. At the start of August I could access the websites for ExpressVPN, Cyberghost & IPVanish but couldnt access NordVPN or Surfshark . Within days Cyberghost was blocked. Now a few weeks later they are all blocked again and I have not been touching my content controls. So who or what is playing around with accessing VPN websites within Vodafone. 

I have same issie

Interesting!

My daughter's partner is working from here and has been struggling with his VPN.

I'm on fibre to the box up the road then copper. No VPN he gets the advertises speed at just under 40Mbits. Turning on his VPN and the rate drops considerably and becomes very variable making his day job very difficult. Not blocked but low and very variable bit rate.

Sounds like a service not fit for purpose.

Jayach

Sounds more like the VPN is the problem. Is it a VPN service supplied by his employer or is he using his own?

This thread is actually about not being able to access VPN venders/sites to purchase a VPN. Nobody is actually saying VPNs don't work on Vodafone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember some websites that list the advantages of VPNs over-sell them - they do have advantages, as well as disadvantages - they are not a panacea!

As far as I'm aware Vodafone don't block any VPNs.  I've a number of VPN connections (of different types and suppliers) set up on both my 3rd party router and my main laptop.  

*The HHG2500/VOX2.5 router VPN settings are problematic, as at the minute are Vodafone's DNS servers (even with content controls turned fully off VFs DNS is unreliable, which is a shame since they are superfast).

**Increasingly streaming sites are blocking users who use VPNs.

***At least one third party firewall currently has issues with VPNs triggering it's "Malicious Sites Blocking" algorithm. 

Sorry you lost me with the technical stuff. Never used a VPN. Would like to start but cant because Vodafone are blocking VPN’s. Ive been in contact with Vodafone in the past, they’ve gone away and ‘hey presto’ I had limited access. They obviously managed to do something to facilitate that. This week, I cannot access any VPN websites, even to look at deals, check out at information, even sign up to a VPN, there is no access nothing. All i get is the message ‘Safari cannot open the page because it could not connect to the server’. Ive have not changed any settings on my Vodafone account yet what limited access I had 3 weeks ago, has now been blocked.