Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Power Hub BT Whole Home Mesh issues

Bigears24
3: Seeker

Evening all,

Had FTTP fitted yesterday and have finally switched my existing BT whole home wifi mesh system across. Well, all I had to do was unplug the Ethernet cable from my virgin modem and into one of the free ports on the Power Hub. 

For context, when I had the mesh system plugged into my Virgin modem I had 0 issues with the WiFi speed. I was able to benefit from the extended coverage with the ability to get near enough line speed in all the areas I needed it. The kit itself is capable of 1gb/s, which I did randomly see on the Virgin line. 

Alas, having plugged the BT whole home kit into my Power Hub I’m seeing a discrepancy of around 2-300mb/s. If I connect to the Power Hub, I consistently get speeds of 550-600mb/s. If I switch across to the mesh network, I get around 290mb/s but sometimes it struggles to break past 100mb/s. The Power Hub is one floor beneath me whereas the nearest mesh module is literally 2 metres away from me. I have also run similar speed tests on another device with similar results. 

I have tried turning the WiFi network off on the Power Hub which made no difference. 

Has anyone experienced similar issues and overcome them? Or am I best changing the mesh to a different system?

Appreciate the go to response may be to blame the BT mesh kit but given the variable here which is causing the issue is the Power Hub, it’s fair to say it is likely the Vodafone equipment which needs optimising. There doesn’t seem to be any meaningful settings to adjust on the BT kit either. 

Many thanks,

BE24. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bigears24

After some reflection given the latest discovery that the first mesh module which is hardwired is able to provide near enough line I’m beginning to think maybe the dated AC2600 modules aren’t capable of providing the full line speed, rather once it’s gone through the backhaul and been broadcasted as an access point, it may make sense as to why it is roughly half of the line speed. 

I will do some more digging and confirm my findings once I’ve had some meaningful sleep. May be the case that I need to upgrade the mesh system to benefit from the extra bandwidth available. More so for the other half as she is the one relies upon the extended coverage working from the office room, with both of us usually running a few data heavy devices at the same time during the day. 

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Bigears24 I get past cable problems using Power Line nodes. It's faster than I need but does rely on the quality of the electric wiring, so may not be suitable for everyone.

300bps was fine for 80 by 24 terminal emulation into a DEC System 10.