Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Unable to split wifi

jamesmillner
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I'm recently a Gigafast broadband customer.

I'm wanting to split my Wifi into two seperate channels, as it seems like I can't change the channel of each range without doing so.

I've got the THG3000 router. When I've signed onto the router I've headed to Wifi -> General -> and following the steps details as per: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/contentdocuments/vfcon090504.pdf

However when I try to apply my changes, the interface returns, 'Your changes have not been updated' and the page refreshes. Am I doing something wrong?

The firmware version of my router is: 19.2.0307-3261013
I've also changed the wifi password and the default admin password for the router, I've also logged out and back into the router with the fresh passwords. But I'm still unable to apply any changes.

14 REPLIES 14

So after speaking to the Gigafast team over the phone. It appears the channel changing functionality has temporarily been removed while Vodafone is implementing a solution via Wifi Doctor. This will enable the Wifi to automatically select the right channel for each wifi range to be on.

I have been told though that this is a trial and that the functionality to change channels IS coming back to the app and router landing pages. The support staff said a trial period is running and that the functionality should return by the middle of October.

For now its not too much of a problem, but I would like to see the option to change channels to be added back in ASAP. As restricting a fundamental part of networking seems odd, even if you aren't necessarily familiar with it.

@jamesmillner wrote:

The support staff said a trial period is running and that the functionality should return by the middle of October.

10 months later and the option to split wifi bands is still not available. Is it coming back?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@nrbrook wrote:

@jamesmillner wrote:

The support staff said a trial period is running and that the functionality should return by the middle of October.

10 months later and the option to split wifi bands is still not available. Is it coming back?

Absolutely not. (but the again, maybe)

There is a way to change the channels once you have split the SSID if you use an Android device.

What you have to do is remove the current version of the Vodafone Broadband app and find and download the apk file of version 4.1.0, this was the last version of the app that allows you to change the channels.

Once you have installed it you have to be quick splitting the SSID's and changing the frequencies from automatic to manual. Because the app will automatically update itself to the latest version again within 5 minutes without using the Google Play store.

Why did Vodafone Broadband remove this functionality from both the router and the app? Because it actually causes major problems after they have rolled out a firmware update. Sometimes it puts 5Ghz frequencies so high that devices can't see them or set it to a congested 2.4Ghz frequency.

The last major issue I saw only a few weeks ago when a friend was having a problem after a firmware update had happened and rebooted. The Vodafone router was connecting at 80/20, but the 2.4Ghz frequency was conflicting with the same 2,4Ghz frequency two Sky Q boxes were using as they use a mesh network. What it did was slowdown the 2.4Ghz frequency to a crawl so the internet wasn't usable. One thing that hadn't been done was the SSID's hadn't been split. Once this was sorted and manual frequencies set everything worked.

This is the one downside to Vodafone Broadband when they removed these options from the app and router.

Jayach

@Evie wrote:  Select 2.4 GHz, and the app will display a list of 13 channels, change the selected channel to one that has no numbers next to it on the left hand side.

Sorry @Evie but it has been stated on here many times by many users that the latest version of the app has had the channel selection removed.