Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone router with Velop mesh for WiFi

bruce_miranda
4: Newbie

I have the following set and something recently has changed which is causing me grief.

This is the connection chain.

OR FTTP Modem - Vodafone Router - Unmanaged Switch - Velop Nodes.

The Vodafone router is plugged into an Unmanaged switch using one of the Ethernet ports. WiFi on the Vodafone router has been switched off. 

The Velop nodes are all plugged into the Unmanaged switch via ethernet cables. This means that the Velop Nodes are operating with a wired backhaul. 

What is happening now is that if any client connects via the main WiFi connection on the Velop, they are connected to WiFi but without Internet. e.g. the client gets an IP address of 192.168.168.100

But if any client connects to the Guest WiFi they get Internet but then they are on another subnet range. e.g. IP address is 192.168.3.158

What I think is happening is that the Guest Network NATs the clients to the Node IP address. The Node is sitting on the LAN and hence has Internet access. All my other wired devices have Internet access.

So what is stopping my WiFi clients from getting Internet access and being put into the same Subnet as the Vodafone router and getting an IP from the DHCP pool? e.g. 192.168.1.x

49 REPLIES 49

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Deleted

Jayach

Phew, that was close, I misread the original question and was just able to delete my rubbish answer before the timer ran out.

So from what you say the Vodafone router is providing the DHCP. Is the Velop in access point mode?

Yes Velop call it Bridge Mode. So all the Velop's router features are shut down and all the Velop is doing is flooding the house with WiFi on its main SSID and a Guest Network SSID.

DHCP, firewall, etc is all provided by the VF router. 

Any WiFi client connecting via the Guest WiFi get Internet but any client connected via the main WiFI get a WiFI without Internet connection.

Jayach

And you say it was all working previously?

If the Vodafone router is providing the DHCP, I cant see how any devices can get an I.P. address of anything other than 192.168,1,x, (unless you have changed it's base address) because as as far as the Vodafone router/DHCP server is concerned they are all on its LAN.

If some devices are getting a different subnet, there must be another DHCP server running, so I would take a close look at the DHCP settings in the Velop.

Everything was working until suddenly it stopped.

DCHP is only running on the VF Router and provides the 192.168.1.x addresses. 

A second DHCP is clearly running on the Velop but this isn't because of a setting, it's just a feature of running a Guest Network on the Velop. The Velop runs its Guest Network on a another Subnet of 192.168.3.x 

The Vodafone router also does something similar and runs its Guest on a 192.168.5.x range.

The trouble I have is that when connecting via the Velop only the Guest Network is providing an Internet connection. I think the reason for this is because the Guest Network is being NAT to the IP address of the Velop nodes that all have 192.168.1.x addresses

Jayach

I think I would check just what mode the Velop is in. If its bridge mode is the same as access point, it shouldn't be doing any NAT. Having said that, I'm not sure how an access point could run two networks.

As it worked previously, would it not be worth setting the Velops up again from scratch?

Referring to your other thread, you were considering doing away with the Vodafone router, and getting an ATA for the phone. Did that not work out?

I have reset the Velops and set them up again. But the issue remains.

DHCP is definitely shut off while in Bridged Mode but Velop has got to be running some form of DHCP, otherwise how does the Guest WiFi work? The Vodafone router only ever sees the 192.168.1.x IP addresses. The Guest Network clients are all probably being seen by the Vodafone router as a single NAT address which is the IP address it assigns to the Velop Nodes. 

The Velop issues out IP addresses in the 192.168.3.x to its Guest wifi clients. But Needless to say, none of them can "see" anything on the Vodafone router's Network as they are all on their separate subnet.

Jayach

Assuming at least one of the devices is a PC, could you connect it to each network in turn and do an ipconfig so we can see what gateway each Wi-Fi is giving out.. like this:

C:\Users\xxxxxxx>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : broadband
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd3c:cf46:b092:7f2d:36cc:d99d:3536:9ccc
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd3c:cf46:b092:7f2d:fd4d:1396:744b:6f98
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5be0:a9b3:e0c6:e5be%27
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.163
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

When you connect to the main WiFi you get a Gateway of 192.168.1.1 as expected. 

But with the Guest WiFi the Gateway is shown as 192.168.3.1, which is what the Guest is published as. However the way things work is that the Guest then NATs these to its own node's IP address so the Vodafone router doesn't see them as .3.x clients but as a single .1.x wired client.