Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WPA2(AES) or WPA3

PanLondonSI
1: Seeker

Recently my iPhone says that I have ‘Weak Security’ on my Wi-Fi. I’m pretty IT savvy and know my way round routers. I have WPA2 selected but the router does not have any better security available to choose. When I spoke to Vodafone on their chat, they told me WPA2(AES) & WPA3 is already enabled. But clearly it isn’t. My question is (in the chat, the operator kept avoiding the question), do Vodafone provide routers that enable us to use WPA2(AES) or WPA3?

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even the older VOX2.5/HHG2500 has WPA2!  WPA3 will not really come into its own until all your devices can use it and it's available on the majority of routers.

As for why your device is telling you that you have weak security - purely and simply it's an Apple device, they like to scare their customers in order to get them to spend more money!

"...purely and simply it's an Apple device, they like to scare their customers in order to get them to spend more money!"

Not an Apple fan, I see.  However you're wrong.  The device is purely stating it can support higher encryption modes over wireless, it's nothing to do with scaring anyone to spend more money.

To the OP: The latest VF router (THG3000) does not support WPA3 with the latest firmware, but it does WPA2.  It may do so in later firmware iterations. 

"Apple like to scare their customers in order to get them to spend more money!". 

This statement is based on either ignorance or wilful malice.

What is your excuse?

Yep it has nothing to do with Apple. I didn’t have this issue until I moved from Sky to Vodafone. If an android phone doesn’t warn you about it, oh well. The Vodafone router uses old encryption methods (TKIP) and you can’t change any setting to fix it. It’s like I went back in time.

Actually, I’m theory just switching from “WPA and WPA2” to “WPA2” might solve this and enable AES encryption instead of TKIP. I’ll have to test it tomorrow. Still not apples fault though 😉

I don’t think Apple have anything to do with scaring us to spend more money that’s absolute rubbish because I’ve just bought a brand-new MacBook Pro and phone.

The Security warning shows in the Wi-Fi Vodafone App it has nothing to do with Apple. 

Apple technology is the best and it requires to work securely on WPA3 which is like level six. Vodafone advised it’s in the pipeline to upgrade but this will be very expensive I assume that’s why it’s not been done yet.

M-1234
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I’ve just been told by one of their engineers that they only have WP2 this is why it keeps telling me I have warning security alert.

WP2 it’s not secure enough for Apple products. we are at risk of being hacked which has happened to me three times already have to keep changing my password all the trucking time. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@M-1234 wrote:

WP2 it’s not secure enough for Apple products. we are at risk of being hacked which has happened to me three times already have to keep changing my password all the trucking time. 

If you have been "hacked" three times, it's not because you are using WPA2.

Most "hackings" are due to people replying to phishing emails and the like.

CrimsonLiar

The ability to use WPA3 needs to be built into the router hardware since it is involved with the encryption of every single WiFi packet sent, it is not something that can usually be performed in software on a full speed WiFi router!

Provided you follow good practice with your passwords then WPA2 is very hard to crack, and if someone were to try, the disruption they would cause in the process would already bring your WiFi to a near standstill.

If someone were to gain access to your WiFi by cracking WPA2 then they'd be able to see transmitted data on the associated WiFi password and mimic that password.  Such a crack would not allow them access to any devices on a network that have their own firewall and security.