cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why are my devices connected at 2.4 GHZ?

Gobsheeite
4: Newbie

Why are my devices connected at 2.4 GHZ?

I don't think I have split the signal

The app shows 2 signals

The connected apps are all showing connected at 2.4 GHz

I keep getting drop outs on my DVR?

Screenshot_20220812_130448_eu.reply.cordless.uk.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Personally I never use the app. What does the router show?

Jayach_0-1660309409165.png

Why is the 2.4Ghz not on auto?

Have you used a wi-fi analyser to make sure the 5Ghz is broadcasting?

Some devices are connected at 5ghz, others at 2.4 GHz The app shows the service is not split???

Why is this??

Jayach

When the bands are not split, the device chooses which to connect to (unless it is a 2.4Ghz only device) and it may swap between them defending on local conditions.

It not split because that is the default setting on the Vodafone router. Some other routers default to split. There are pros and cons to both ways.

If you are not Pro, you can split them if you want. The 5Ghz will have 5G added to its SSID

That seems to have made a lot of sense to you, but defies logic

1/ How can devices choose which speed they want if it's only 5 GHz (not split)?

2/ I'm not asking why it's not split, Im asking why devices are connected at different speeds if it's not split?

3/ If devices can connect at whichever speed they like, what's the need to split the signal????

There is obviously some sort of Vodafone Voodoo at work that I'm missing but everyone else is read

Jayach

@Gobsheeite wrote:

That seems to have made a lot of sense to you, but defies logic

1/ How can devices choose which speed they want if it's only 5 GHz (not split)?

If it's not split it is 2.4Ghz and 5ghz, they use the same SSID, and devices don't choose the speed they choose the band.

2/ I'm not asking why it's not split, Im asking why devices are connected at different speeds if it's not split?

The speed they connect at can vary, depending on the strength of the signal, and their own capabilities.

3/ If devices can connect at whichever speed they like, what's the need to split the signal????

The 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are not speeds, they are frequency bands. The 2.4Ghz can travel further and through obstacle's better (theoretically), but can't carry as much data.

There is obviously some sort of Vodafone Voodoo at work that I'm missing but everyone else is read

These are industry standards, nothing to do with Vodafone.

I'll try those questions again because I used the wrong terms

1/ How can devices choose which BAND they want if it's only 5 GHz (not split)?

2/ I'm not asking why it's not split, Im asking why my devices are connected to different BANDS if it's not split?

3/ If devices can connect to whichever BAND they like, what's the point of the switch that splits the signal????

You seem to be suggesting the band split is totally redundant??? So is it???

Jayach

@Gobsheeite wrote:

I'll try those questions again because I used the wrong terms

1/ How can devices choose which BAND they want if it's only 5 GHz (not split)?

Same answer as before really. If the bands aren't split the same SSID (Wi-Fi name) will have both bands available. It is impossible to be 5Ghz only and not split (unless the 2.4Ghz has been turned off)

Unless you mean the device is 5Ghz only, but then it would have to use the 5Ghz, no choice.

2/ I'm not asking why it's not split, Im asking why my devices are connected to different BANDS if it's not split?

If the device is 2.4Ghz only, it will always connect to 2.4Ghz. (obviously)
If it can use both it will be up to the device to decide how to handle it, some may simply choose the strongest signal, others may may be a bit more intelligent and chose the one capable of the greatest throughput at that moment, some can aggregate the signals and use both. Usually the more expensive (and newer) devices are more intelligent in their usage.  It really depends on the firmware/driver.

See if this helps: WiFi frequency bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (minim.com)

3/ If devices can connect to whichever BAND they like, what's the point of the switch that splits the signal????

As I said, some devices are not that intelligent. They may choose the 2.4Ghz because it is a stronger signal, but the 5ghz might give greater throughput (speed)
You seem to be suggesting the band split is totally redundant??? So is it???
Pretty much nowadays, but in the scenario just above, by splitting the bands it will allow you to make the decision to use the the "best" one for what you want to achieve

There's a lot of nonsense about split/not-split (combined) SSIDs.  In a combined set up all that happens is that the SSID and password are the same on the two bands, absolutely nothing more, devices still use either one band or the other, it is just that the device will choose which.  *Having the two combined does not give a better signal or more bandwidth

So, let's say my 5 GHz Wifi is on channel 116 and I'm happily watching Netflix.  A police helicopter flies overhead and the radar detection on the router kicks in, my connection seamlessly switches to the 2.4GHz channel, and hopefully I never even notice!

As a user, all you should really be worried about is that it works!

*Currently 7 devices connected on 5GHz and 21 on 2.4GHz with a mix of AX, AC, & N

As a user, all you should really be worried about is that it works!

It's not, my PVR keeps dropping the connection, as per my post, and hence the questions