cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Windows 11 laptop thinks some file on router attached HDD are corrupt.

crystal58
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've had a 2TB Seagate HDD attached to my router for 7+ years. I had this setup previously with other ISPS and now with Vodafone. It can sometime take a bit of fiddling when changing routers but I get there in the end.
I was happily accessing the HDD from my Windows 10 Laptop and desktop and also my android phone.

I recently bought a Windows 11 laptop and after some messing got the HDD recognised and mapped.
I can see all the files, but on opening I sometimes get told they are corrupt or not the expected format. When copying I might get told the server couldn't complete the action. Specifically
Error 0x8007003A: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation

None of the files are corrupt as I;ve checked by my other devices.

I've done a load of Googling and as a result of that I enabled version 1 of SMB, which appears to be disable by default in Windows 11. It didn't help in anycase.

I 've tried a USB stick and the same thing happens.

My Windows 11 is a full version downloaded from the Microsoft website, having kick the shipped Lenovo version into touch.
I was hoping someone on this forum might help

I'm just coming to the end of my cotract so will consider a move and hope the new router will be a fix.

Cheers
Chris

16 REPLIES 16

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Jayach Unless you have a spare SDD/M.2 😁

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

@Jayach Unless you have a spare SDD/M.2 😁

That's true. I have a little 11.6"  touch screen laptop, which came with a 64GB eMMC drive, but can also take an M2. SSD, so now I have it dual booting Windows 10 from the eMMC and Windows 11 from the SSD.

Absolutely no good reason for doing that other than "because I could".

@Cynric

Thanks for the pointers. I've always been a bit rubbish with Linux and maybe a bit scared of it.

I'm prepared to give it a go though. I'll check out the site.

@Jayach

Yes it would be time consuming, luckily because I've not had it long it's only goy basics on it. I used to wipe and reinstall from time on my old laptop. I even wrote a script for it.

Cynric

@crystal58 At the Distrowatch site there is a popular version called "Pop!_OS" which has a simple visual feel a bit like a cross between Mac and Windows 11, and it can be run from a USB (see the "Live Disk Creation" page in the documentation.

UPDATE: I have just tried Pop!_OS for fun and found that it "sulks" with the TPMS on the motherboard. I haven't seen this with other Linux/Unix flavours, so it's a first for me too. So, I'd suggest Umbuntu instead for loading onto a USB stick.

Ripshod

Ubuntu is good, as is Mint. However, being a Windows user perhaps Gandalf's Boot CD would be of use here. It's based on WinPE and has a lot of useful tools pre-installed. 

Cynric

@Ripshod I was going to steer away from "recovery " systems as they can often be as confusing with the plethora of installed programs.

Ripshod

Never had a notification for your reply @Cynric

Any WinPE environment would do. We only want to test smb file access and WinPE is the standard Windows setup with no permanent changes. 

If you haven't tried it give it a go.