Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

advice setting up a mesh system (TP Link Deco M4) with my router

wilro
3: Seeker

Hi everybody.  I have lots of black spots around my home using the vodafone-supplied THG3000 router with a Superfast 2 connection. Where there is internet, it is great. It's just a ##~## trying to  work in my office (well, spare bedroom).

My issue is with the device I've purchased to try and resolve this. After a poor experience with a simple extender, I thought I'd try my hand at a mesh system. I opted for a TP Link Deco M3 Whole Home WiFi system, which (supposedly!) simply plugs into one's router, and should then create a new wifi network that can be extended with the satellite devices.

It arrived today, so I duly:

- connected it to the LAN port in the back of the router (I've also tried other LAN ports, and even a WAN port in one desperate attempt; I did look at trying to plug it straight into the BT OpenReach port in my wall, but the Deco mesh only has ethernet ports, and the included two-ended ethernet cable doesn't fit into the wall socket.

- contacted vodafone over the online chat on my vodafone broadband app for the details the Deco app requires. This included a username ending [at]broadband.vodafone.co.uk and a password. I received the same details from two agents, so am confident this must be correct. I also needed to know what kind of internet I have. The options were Dynamic IP, PPPoE, Static IP, L2TP, PPTP or DS-Lite. I was informed by two separate agents that mine is PPPoE. There is also a box to check called IPTV/VLAN. Both agents told me I need to select this. This means I have to provide an Internet VLAN ID and an Internet VLAN Priority. One of them said the former should be "either 108 or 109". Another said it should be 191. Folks on these forums have mooted 911 for other purposes like using a third-party router for vodafone broadband. One of the agents said the priority should be 'medium', the other 'medium or 5'. It appears the priority has to be numeric and between 0-7. Elsewhere on this forum, people have done things like change their routers with priority set at 0.

Armed with all of this information, and having entered it in various combinations, I've not yet managed to get the internet running on the mesh network. I don't know whether it's because one or more of these settings isn't correct, but this message is the last ditch attempt of mine after spending approximately 8 hours resetting and re-entering information.

I never post on forums like this but have benefited from the tech support of generous tech sages over the years, but would be so appreciative if somebody could help me before I return it to Currys and move my office into my living room next to the router!

Thanks for any help!

26 REPLIES 26

HelpfulBadger
11: Established
11: Established

Hi Wilro,

If I understand it correctly, the devices/cables go - BT Socket > Vodafone Box > Mesh system

The settings that you've been trying to enter are for when you're replacing the Vodafone router entirely, (plugging it straight into the BT socket) and not using it as a middleman. If I'm reading the info from TP Link correctly, it can act as a router, but not a modem on FTTC broadband (the Vodafone box acts as both by default) - It should work "as is" by setting the Deco to dynamic IP and plugging it into the router, however you may need to change the IP addresses that one or the other is issuing (for example you can't have them both use 192.168.0.x), and this might introduce issues when playing games online etc. If the Vodafone router has a "Bridge" or "Modem Only" mode option then I would suggest using that to help avoid these issues.

Let us know how you get on and if I've got the wrong end of the stick, hope it helps!

@HelpfulBadger wrote:

Hi Wilro,

If the Vodafone router has a "Bridge" or "Modem Only" mode option then I would suggest using that to help avoid these issues.

1. The Vodafone THG3000 has no Bridge, Modem Only or Router Only modes.  
  2. Without the Vodafone THG3000 (which is both modem & router) you will need a modem.  The Deco device will not function without a modem and should not be connected directly to the Openreach master socket.
  3. You need none of the PPPoE details - factory reset the Deco device(s) and start from scratch 
  4. The first Deco node should only be connected (by ethernet cable) to one of the four g/fast ports on your THG3000

1. Turn off the Vodafone Router’s wifi but leave it as the DHCP server.
  2. Connect a Deco node by ethernet cable to one of the Vodafone router's  g/fast ports
  3. In the Deco App, select AP Mode (rather than router mode)
  4. follow the App to get up and running.  You don’t say how many nodes you have but again, your app will guide you through set-up.

Disclaimer:  the above is based on the original setting up of my three node mesh system in AP mode with the Vodafone THG3000.  
The THG3000 has been long since retired in favour of a separate modem and a traditionally cased mesh router (plus the original three mesh nodes using a mix of wired and wifi connections).

Hi  happynomad. Just a quick thank you for these clarifications. I have toggled off the WiFi on the Vodafone broadband app. I have located the option to turn on AP mode on the deco app (In “advanced” under “operation mode”, if anybody else is looking for the same info when they read this), and have just changed it across from the default “router” mode.

the descriptors dont cast much light for me on what the difference is between them, especially as in router mode the mesh still seemed to be working. Perhaps it’s something to do with security?

If I come across any issues I’ll report them here, but just a huge thank you for your wisdom. Stay well, stay safe :Smiling:

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@wilro

Just to clarify the difference between the modes.

In AP mode the Deco is just looking after the Wi-Fi, and letting the THG3000 do everything else.

In router mode the Deco expects to do it it all, including authenticating to Vodafone (which is why you were given a username and password).

But as you are on FTTC you would need an external modem, as @HappyNomad says. If you were on FTTP (Gigafast) you would be able to plug the Deco in direct to the ONT(Optical Network Terminal).

Thanks, Jayach.  Reallty helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.

Thanks, HB. I was overcomplicating it, evidently! I have now done just as you say, and it is as plug-and-play as the reviews would have me believe. I simply plugged it in to the LAN port of the router, and selected dynamic IP. From there it did it all itself. As @happynomad noted below, I’ve not changed any settings on the router itself (except for toggling off the WiFi on the VF broadband app user interface), but it appears to be working and I’m currently writing “thank you” from the WiFi on my iPad. Cheers, helpful badger! Have a lovely week :Smiling:

wilro

Hi all, just thought it would be useful to make a note here for anybody who buys this system as a vodafone superfast 2 customer, I've been using the TP Link Deco system for four days now, with the three 'satellites' bought spaced thus: one next to the router, pluged in via one of the original vodafone router LAN ports. The other two satellites on the egdes of where my internet blackspots used to be. Thanks to helpful folks on this forum, the settings were explained to me that you're best off in Dynamic IP mode (selected on the TP link Deco app when setting up the device), plugged directly into your router's LAN port. There are settings once the network has established itself, and you should toggle to Access Point, not Router mode which appears to be the default. I did not need any of the log in details I acquired ultimately because I don't have the relevant kind of internet.

My internet's super stable anyway, but it's now more expansive across my property and I seem to get good speeds!

A huge thanks to HappyNomad, HelpfulBadger and Jayach for their wisdom. Happy internetting, friends!

Hi wilro@,

I have the Deco S4, which only outputs a max of 160 Mbps, whereas when connected to the VodafoneNNNNN wi-fi gives me 400 Mbps in the same place on the same device (right next to the hub). Is your mesh network performing at Vodafone wireless speeds?

My connection is 500 Mbps and I get that consistently on a wired connection.

Hi 

I have the M5 with three units.

the devices worked fine with Virgin, but I've now moved.

If I'm with City Fibre / Vodafone, is it better to connect the M5 to the Vodafone router or the City Fibre box on the wall with an Ethernet.