cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

thoughts on the new vodafone router - gigabox vox3.0?

thelondonguy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello!

To everyone who has the new vodafone router vox 3.0 - what are your thoughts on it? I feel like it is less refined and less flexible than my old bt hub 6 router, even though that has no WAN port! The router feels a bit cheap and tacky, and I got slightly better coverage on my home hub 6. Sometimes vodafone router gives me a better signal, but it's behaving weirdly. Downstairs in the study (router modem in in boxroom upstairs) I struggle to get a signal with this box, but with hub6 i had no problems. However, sometimes, out of nowhere, I get two wifi bars on the iphone, then it drops to 1, then it cuts out. Very strange - feels like the beam focusing tech is trying to work but failing.

It frustrated me so much that i set up the old hub6 over powerline to extend the wifi, but that in itself is erratic and occasionally give me stupid ip addresses like 169.254....instead of the normal 192.168...

Will see how it goes over the next two weeks, but if the wifi problems are not fixed, I might have to disable it and get a mesh network!

5 REPLIES 5

motorway
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

The interface is slow and mine won't recognise a Sierra Wireless 889 mobile dongle, and doesn't seem to work with a ZTE MF823 either - doesn't reject the ZTE but keeps tearing down the connection. A compatibility list from Vodafone would be nice.

Can't comment on broadband as it's the replacement for my HHG2500 after they managed to cancel my line in error after I rang up to raise a fault for low evening bandwidth. New service doesn't go live for another 2 days.

Two weeks waiting on the new activation date.

The interface is rubbish. I seriously hope Vodafone release a firmware soon to get rid of the bugs and add a bit more functionality! The router modem has fewer options than bt hub 6 (apart from guest which BT doesn't have).  In every other way bt hub 6 felt more reliable. That said, i've not had many dropped connections - twice in the last 6 days since joining. As promised by vodafone, the line is settling down. For the size of the gigabox vox 3.0, you'd expect much better wifi coverage than the hub gives you.

I'm going to get a mesh wifi network and two top of the rnage powerline adapters for wifi - I will just use the modem router as a switch and dchp server to allocate the ip addresses - should be good enough to manage that :Smiling:

I've had two now, they're both absolute crap. I'm hoping to get a phone call from Vodafone at some point in the coming days to resolve it and actually find me a router that works, even if it means me being sent a supposedly "obsolete" model.

i get drops pretty constantly and even my fire stick which is a straight 2 metres from the router struggles.

Things connected by Ethernet drop as well. It's just appalling all round.

It looks like Vodafone have done their usual - just enough to get connected, crappy interface and very limited features. Personally I don't know why you would create a router with such basic usefulness nowadays, unless you just can't be bothered supporting your customers because you've given them a half-baked product.

I've never had a problem with Vodafone support people, they've always been great, but let down by some really basic system failures. If they can't be bothered to give you real connection solutions in this day and age, they should probably just give up. Massive as they are, they don't seem to use that to 'delight' their customers, just 'adequately provide'.  

Adequately unimpressed, do better..

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

check out this thread its all about the vox3..0 ( thg3000 )

because there are 2 different vox.3 routers 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/THG3000-VS-THG3000G-V2/m-p/2686343#M20353