Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anonymous
Not applicable
33 REPLIES 33

thank you for the information Vodafone has given me the VLAN id as 901 but you sent me the correct one 911 now it's working. do you think it's better to use the tp-link deco over the stock router from Vodafone? and how about the back USB sim can I use that with the IP telephone 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Eyaz786 wrote:

now it's working. do you think it's better to use the tp-link deco over the stock router from Vodafone? and how about the back USB sim can I use that with the IP telephone 

The Deco's are a true mesh, and the Vodafone Pro system seems a poor imitation, so from that point of view the Deco's are better.

However you lose the VoIP telephone service and the automatic 4G backup.

So really it depends on your priorities.

Deffently use third party for maximum speed

Same experience as other user posting from Aberdeen. Although talking to support about issues with their router dropping devices from WiFi was told "The only way to solve it is to use another router". So I bought one, got all the connection details required, then after hours or trying to get it to work eventually spoke to someone to be told "Oh, you can't use 3rd party hardware with Gigafast", I said I saw community posts saying you could and was told "only in Milton Keynes".

Apparently this requires some "Exchange" configuration that costs them to implement, and they've only done it in the initial rollout area of Milton Keynes. Having spent a reasonable amount of money on a replacement device on their advice I was less than happy. Running it in AP mode currently and no longer have to suffer their router's WiFi problems, but given it can do EVERYTHING their router can I'm still miffed having to run two routers.

Whether you are connected through OpenReach or CityFibre, with the correct settings, it doesn't matter where you are, you can connect a third-party router to the ONT/PON/GPON (using an ethernet cable).

The most important thing is that you get the service username (ending @Broadband.vodafone.co.uk) and password correct - get them emailed or copy and paste them from text chat!

With details in hand, first try to set up the PPPoE connection on the router with just the un/pass.  If that does not work then you should try getting the router to express VLAN ID: 911 on your internet (WAN port).  Where you add the VLAN ID varies from router to router, but it is possible on 95% of routers!

Jayach

@brucesking

As @CrimsonLiar says, just about any router will work on FTTP (I don't say Gigafast as many Superfast connections are also supplied on FTTP now)

You don't say if you are on City Fibre or Openreach, but if it is Openreach the VLAN would be 101, but is probably not required. (I believe their ONT handles the VLAN)

You do realise you will lose the phone service if you use your own router.

I'm on cityfibre with Vodafone gigafast. I tried my router with vlan settings, correct user details etc. but never worked (can't remember the exact log details). I did contact tplink to check there was no issue. I also got VoIP/phone settings from them that should allow the phone to be used.

Just as a reply to anyone. I now have FTTP with an ONT Box and am still with VF.

I bought a new Asus router (AX82U) and it works fine plugged into the LAN socket of the ONT box. Also 'if' you request a dual cable fibre install (before Openreach turn up you ask them directly. VF wont even know it exists probably) you can keep your phoneline ie its two distinct cables in one from pole (x1 is fibre, x1 is POTS for your existing phoneline). It means your phones still work as analogue.

HTH everyone. You just need to make sure your username is correct, VLAN and system clock settings are up to date and any 3rd party router should work. Took me a few gos but works fine.

Jayach

@dw89 wrote:

I bought a new Asus router (AX82U) and it works fine plugged into the LAN socket of the ONT box. Also 'if' you request a dual cable fibre install (before Openreach turn up you ask them directly. VF wont even know it exists probably) you can keep your phoneline ie its two distinct cables in one from pole (x1 is fibre, x1 is POTS for your existing phoneline). It means your phones still work as analogue.

I believe that is known as a hybrid cable, and seems to be the default for overhead installs (i.e. from a pole) and it would need two contracts, one for the phone and one for the Broadband. which will be more expense.

As I say that is my belief, but as I've not got FTTP in my area I can't be sure.

Jayach

@brucesking wrote:

I also got VoIP/phone settings from them that should allow the phone to be used.

Are you saying Vodafone have given you the VoIP settings to use with an alternative router/ATA/VoIP phone?