Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Bank card fraud

apr12
2: Seeker

I'm not a current Vodafone customer, and have never been. But several days ago my bank card info was stolen (It's a Visa Debit) and the fraudster made a series of transactions at "VODAFONE E-COMMERCE NEWBURY GB". There were 5 unauthorized transactions made (15 GBP each, that is 75 in total).

I've phoned my bank (not a UK bank. I'm an international student in the UK.) but unfortunately they presume their customer guilty and won't refund anything before their lengthy investigation concludes. And they would charge me for their "investigation". So I won't recover much in this way (But I let them start the investigation anyway!).

So I talked to a Vodafone agent online, and she gave me a number of their fraud department. The fraud department was not very helpful as well. They won't help me locate the transactions in their system, and insisted that I should call the bank. A dead end.

So I would like to have your suggestions. Is there any way to push Vodafone to investigate on their side? Like blocking the fraudsters' phone account or turning the fraudsters' information to the police?

7 REPLIES 7

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @apr12 I'm sorry to hear your details have been used in this way. We'll be more than happy to take a look into this and help prevent it from happening again. As we'll need some personal information, along with the reference numbers for these payments, pop us a private message through on of our social channels. When you message us, please include your Community ID and a link to this thread. 

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @apr12 

Mobile tops up are a high fraud concern and it's surprising the Bank authorised the transactions to a UK mobile number, especially when there were 5 transactions for the same amount.  As far as is known, PAYG credit has to be purchased using a UK registered card to a UK address for the very reason foreign banks won't authorise transactions for top up credit to a UK network.

Although you may contact Vodafone through the Social Channels, there won't be an account to verify and no sure what advise you may be able to receive.  However, do hope you get this sorted out with the Bank and if the money has left your account you are able to be reimbursed by your Bank.

BandOfBrothers

@apr12 wrote:

I'm not a current Vodafone customer, and have never been. But several days ago my bank card info was stolen (It's a Visa Debit) and the fraudster made a series of transactions at "VODAFONE E-COMMERCE NEWBURY GB". There were 5 unauthorized transactions made (15 GBP each, that is 75 in total).

I've phoned my bank (not a UK bank. I'm an international student in the UK.) but unfortunately they presume their customer guilty and won't refund anything before their lengthy investigation concludes. And they would charge me for their "investigation". So I won't recover much in this way (But I let them start the investigation anyway!).

So I talked to a Vodafone agent online, and she gave me a number of their fraud department. The fraud department was not very helpful as well. They won't help me locate the transactions in their system, and insisted that I should call the bank. A dead end.

So I would like to have your suggestions. Is there any way to push Vodafone to investigate on their side? Like blocking the fraudsters' phone account or turning the fraudsters' information to the police?

Hi @apr12 

Any type of fraud is inconvenient and stressful.

You have acted the correct way by involving your Banks Customer Services as they are the route that can help you here.

I assume your bank has stopped your card so further unauthorised payments can take place.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

zry

Hi, I think I encounter exactly the same problem as you. I have been charged 15GBP for multiple times. Have you solved it? 

My bank has initiated a charge-back. I'm still waiting for their results.

Does that mean the bank comfirm it is a fraud and agree to take the responsibility?  Did you try contact the police in your country?

Daze29
1: Seeker

This happened to me also, last Friday received a message from my bank to approve a transaction from Vodafone UK ecommerce Newbury,  I logged into my bank and it had already happened 5 times for £10 each. I'm located in Ireland. Rang my bank they could see the IP address and device used and now they have it black listed and a fraud case opened.