Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data usage without data

Pikeman246
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. Looking for some advice. I'm on PAYG with no data package.  I've never had data.

But early yesterday morning I received a text from Vodafone about data usage. It's logged on my phone too. This is impossible as (as I have said) I have no data at all. It has brought my credit down to zero but more importantly I suspect there has been some fraudulent activity. Any thoughts?

Incidently, apart from having no data, my data and wifi were both turned off anyway.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

What Payg tariff are you on @Pikeman246 

All modern phones use data either for accessing the internet or updating apps or location apps such as weather / maps etc.

If a person turns Off Mobile Data in the phones settings then in theory no access should be available unless on wifi  

Customer service on 191 or Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries  have account access to see what's been going On.

Also most phones have a built in data monitor to be able to see what has been used and your myvodafone app and myvodafone online option can usually show usage stats.

You can turn off data in your myvodafone too.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply.

Excuse my ignorance about tariffs. I don't have a Vodafone account online. I just topup when needed using my number via the website (My Vodafone - Billing and Payments - Top up)

I only use wifi on my phone. I do not have ANY mobile data. Looking at my data usage it has a graph. And on 5th Jan (about 4:30am when I was asleep) under 'minutes' it says there is 24m 17s used. Incoming about 11m 19s and outgoing about 12m 58s.

If I had bought data, would there have to be a 3G symbol on my phone?

I've spoken to someone online and on a call but not having much joy.

They have passed the case onto a fraud team

Thanks again

AnnS

Hi @Pikeman246 

At a guess you are using PAYG 1 and will be charged £1.00 per day on the days you use your phone, this tariff also included 500mb of daily data, if you are paying for data, you might as well make use of the 500mb.

The other alternative is to only use the standard charges, but at 30p per minute, this may end up costing more than PAYG 1.

It may be worth you downloading the My Vodafone application, this will give your usage in real time and will make it easy to see exactly where your credit is being spent.  Please be aware to locate your this will use a small amount of data for the first log in. There is further information for you here: Download the My Vodafone Application 

If you are looking at your call log, the daily use is rounded up at midnight and this will show on your phone shortly after and this is what you probably noticed added to your account in the early hours of the morning.

There is further information on network frequencies here:  Coverage and Network .  Even if you do not use the phone for data access, you can still make calls using the 3G network and this will show on the phone when you are in a 3G location.

Thanks for your reply AnnS.

I'm still not fully understanding what's happened but I appreciate you're trying to help.

I definitely don't get charged £1 per day. I last topped up in June with £30 and it's lasted until 5th Jan. I had about £8-£10 left and it disappeared due to the data usage.

Perhaps I should quote was was texted to me:

04:38 "We see you're using data. It's £2 a day for 50MB then 10p a 1MB after. For better value, go to www.vodafone.co.uk/payginternet You may want to opt in to 500MB of UK data for 30 days for only £5 each month by calling 34441 free from your Vodafone mobile. Not using data? Check no apps or updates are running in the background. Find out more at www.vodafone.co.uk/payginternet"

04:47 "We hope you've enjoyed browsing, downloading and streaming your way through all 50MB of your data allowance for today. It means you'll now be charged 10p a 1MB. To find out more, go to www.vodafone.co.uk/payginternet"

05:02 "Just to let you know, you've got £0.00 of credit left. Call 2345 to top up now, or go to vodafone.co.uk/topup to see all the other ways you can get more credit."

05:12 "So far you've used 45MB of your 50MB data allowance, so you've got 5MB left today. After that, you'll pay 10p a 1MB. Or you could call 34441 to buy a great value £5 Extra Data with 250MB for 30 days, if you haven't already had one in the last 30 days. Ts&Cs apply. To find out more, go to www.vodafone.co.uk/payginternet"

All this with no mobile data bought or switched on and asleep.

AnnS

Hi @Pikeman246 

That's strange, you are being charged the daily rate of £2.00 per day for data access, this means somehow your phone is accessing data.

The first thing to do is to make absolutely certain mobile data has not been accidentally turned on, it amazing just how easy with a touch phone this can be done. 

To prevent this recurring and stop the phone connecting to the internet, go into your data settings and change the APN from PAYG to contract or totally remove the APN settings, with incorrect APN or no data settings, it will be impossible for the phone to make a connection to the mobile internet and will only connect using a WiFi connection.

Thanks again @AnnS

I went to APNs menu and there is one option:

PAYG WAP which is highlighted.

I clicked on this and a huge list comes up but there are no selectable items.

AnnS

Hi @Pikeman246

If you tap and hold the APN, you can edit or remove. 

Unfortunately not.

It does have a padlock next to it though.

Only option there is is "Reset to default"

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @Pikeman246, thanks for getting in touch. If you add credit to a Pay as you go phone, this can still be used towards data. From the sound of the time you used the data, it could be that your phones completed some kind of update during the night, after you've possibly switched on mobile data accidentally; as this is very easily done.

If you set up a My Vodafone account as previously advised, you can add various bars to stop something like this happening again 😊