Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How much does it cost to call Japan with PAYG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

How much does it cost to call Japan with Vodaphone PAYG?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Please see screenshot.  I would recommend opting into Vodafone International to save money, still free for PAYG here: Calling abroad from the UK 

Screenshot (8).png

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS

Hi @Anonymous 

Please see screenshot.  I would recommend opting into Vodafone International to save money, still free for PAYG here: Calling abroad from the UK 

Screenshot (8).png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

I've done that and texted to opt in. I don't know if that will make things cheaper. Will it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Texting didn't work!

AnnS

Hi @Anonymous 

If you have opted into International it may not be active on your account immediately and you will probably find the extra added at midnight ready for your use tomorrow morning and this will make it a lot cheaper for you to call and text internationally, just check the cost from the link in my first reply.

The text you are sending today will probably be costing 24p per message and you are going to need the extra added credit, you will also need to use the country code +81 followed by the remaining digits dropping off any first 0.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a workaround I signed to the international service where for £3 extra a month you get 100 free minutes for international calls.

Hope that works.

BandOfBrothers

As a fall back on option maybe consider unlocking the phone to all network's which will then allow you to use a local sim card @Anonymous 

The Nuc form is at the side of the forum in Quick Links.

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

As a workaround I signed to the international service where for £3 extra a month you get 100 free minutes for international calls.

Hope that works.

The service you mention is a pay monthly extra, no quite how you have managed to add the service when it won't work.  You need to look at the PAYG extras here: PAYG Extras 

As you can see Vodafone recommend Vodafone International, this will be the cheapest option to call Japan from the UK and save you a lot of money.  It should be active on your account tomorrow morning, if for any reason it does not show on your application give live chat a try first or come back to the forum.

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

You can also use a Voip provider such as Voipfone to make such calls...

Simply install their softphone app on your mobile and it will use WiFi or mobile data to place the call. You will need to create an account with them (costs nothing) and you will need to add calling credit (no contracts, no credit checks) just top up like you do now. It costs 3.8 pence (excluding VAT) a min to call a landline in Japan and 10 pence (excluding VAT) to call mobiles in Japan.

A lot cheaper than Vodafone's £1.50 a minute and no need for any add-ons.