Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Money disappearing from account

Squab
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Money has been disappearing from my Vodafone pay-as-you-go account, always £1 and always just after midnight, when I haven't used my mobile all day. I have data and roaming disabled. I have talked to customer service, who were useless and denied that it had happened. It's now happened three times over the last two weeks.

11 REPLIES 11

MarkD

Hi @Squab, it sounds like you are on Pay as you Go 1. This means we will charge you £1 and give you unlimited UK minutes, unlimited UK texts and 50mb of data until midnight. You can find more information about this and check our Pay as you Go bundles here

Hi MarkD, Yes, I'm on pay-as-you-go 1. I'm aware that £1 is charged when I use the mobile and then the rest of the day's usage is free, but the money has been taken when I have not used the phone for 24 hours. As I'm unable to access my account details, I can't check whether it is recorded on the account. I only know that it's happened when I receive a text saying that the rest of the day is free, and then checking the balance on my phone, I can see that it has reduced by £1. 

I'm having the same issue. Mobile data is switched off, so no messages/ test / data used; only used with home broadband connection. The few pounds in account were wiped out, £1 each day, so i got to chat and they refunded.... however it's now happening again, account down by £1 /day for no usage,,, clearly a major technical issue of some kind.

The same scenario exactly. I’ve just been talking to Vodafone, who had no answer. To compound matters I haven’t been able to access the V website for three days now to look at my acccount. I have my PAC code and will be switching. Too much aggro. Even in lockdown I have better things to do with my life! Good luck!

Hi AnnS,

I talked at length to two different customer service advisors. Neither was able to explain why money was being taken from my account when I haven't used my mobile phone.  It has happened again today. I now have a PAC and will be switching. Vodafone obviously have a serious problem. However, they have at last fixed the website problem so that I'm able to see my account details, including usage. I'll be glad to leave! 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Squab, I'm sorry to hear you've requested your PAC and will now be looking to leave us. Now that you're able to access your online account, does your number show any data usage in your full breakdown?

In some cases, any apps, widgets or small updates in the background of your phone can cause a £1 charge to be added. 

As @AnnS has mentioned, a charge will only generate on our systems and onto your account when the number and SIM have registered on our network - whether this is done through a call, text or data usage. 

Hello Tash, 

There has been internet usage on some days, typically of 0.02 MB, which has resulted in £1 being charged. This happens even though I've disabled all apps and turned off mobile data. I have not taken the phone outside the house. We have separate home broadband, not from Vodafone. Surely, if something in the phone tries to connect to the internet it would do so through the home broadband network, which is always on and within reach? Prior to 1 January there is nothing on my account to indicate internet usage, only calls and texts, even though I used the phone in exactly the same manner then, and data was even switched on! Why has Vodafone now started charging me for using my own home broadband connection?

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Squab - As of the 12th of January you pay £1 a day once you send a text, make a call or use any data and get:

– Unlimited voice calls to standard UK numbers, landlines and voicemail
– Unlimited texts to standard UK numbers
– Unlimited MMS to standard UK numbers
– 50MB UK data

On the days you don’t do this, you won’t pay anything. If you haven't used any of these services on any of the days you have been charged the £1, please drop us a message on social media so we can check your account and look into getting this raised.

Hi Evie, Thanks for your message. I've already raised this with various Vodafone folk a few times and have got nowhere. I will be switching to another provider as soon as I've used up the rest of my account balance, which should not take long at the rate it's disappearing. Thanks anyway, but I won't spend any more time and effort on this.