Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG in Japan

amsr
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, I have the simplest Pay As You Go on a Doro phone.  I am visiting Japan briefly and want to be able to use my phone only in case of problems, i.e. text only or text plus phone, not data.

Is there a scheme like for Europe, where I can get texts or texts+phone only?

Or is the only way, via a Big Value Bundle, which will be a waste of money as I will not use most of it?

Thank-you

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Charges can be found on the going  abroad section of the website  @amsr 

The problem is you would need a phone that is capable of 4G VoLTE calling.  Japan are advanced in mobile technology and are now using  7 and 8G network. 

Thank-you. I understand that 4G works in major cities, I only need Tokyo and Kagoshima.  I am sorry I cannot find any information about if I can buy just texts or texts plus calls in Japan with PAYG. I do not need data or a BVB. Thanks.

AnnS

Yes @amsr 

Purchase a round the World extra from the Travelling Abroad section of the website on this link:  Charge Checker Going Abroad this will save you having to pay for every outgoing call and text message.

If you have an Android phone with 4G you shouldn't have any problems using the phone in Japan.

Edited to add @amsr. the extra starts on the day it's added, don't add the package  until the day you leave the UK. 

Thanks very much, sorry I did not find that link the first time.