cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieving an old mobile number, how to go about it?

markc89
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

I do remember the number very well and after a search to find out who the owner/carrier is, it does indeed come back as Vodafone. I've even tried calling the number and it's currently not in use.

Initial thoughts and comments I'm sure will be that there's no chance, and indeed it may have even been used by somebody else after me. However, surely there must be some way to retrieve an old number, not in use. I used to work for a telecommunications company and providing that the number was not use and was not in a quarantine pool, we could reassign all numbers that originated within our company. In fact, some time ago you could even buy the number and we could hold it.

I know every company is different but I have a feel it's more of a case of we can't really be bothered, or don't bother us with stupid requests, just take a god damn new number and let me get back to chomping on my pen.

Having spoken with customer services PayAsYouGo, I found them very unhelpful, as expected in all honesty. They simply searched the number and said I can't find it. Now, however, I'm looking for a serious answer with some possible positive outcome.

How can I retrieve this number? even if it means paying to Vodafone for it? I don't even mind being on the Vodafone network in order just to have it. And more so, who in Vodafone will be most likely to help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you to all in advance.

Mark

108 REPLIES 108

Hi,

I've been locked out my yahoo email and only access is for yahoo to send a code to my old number. I spoke to someone in technical at vodafone, who said I could temporarily change my pay monthly to a payg, fill out a keep my number from and get my old number back. Been into local vodafone shop today and woman I spoke too said this is not possible! Who is right?? 

My old number comes back onto the system on Monday.....any help be very much appreciated 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @swiftypa, this would depend on if the number is still available and we'd need to check the status of it. So that we can do this, could you drop us a message on social media? Make sure to add a link to this thread and include your forum username and the mobile number you'd like to keep

Hi

I was told by someone at Vodafone it comes back into service today. 90 days has expired since I last had the number

Hi, think I have posted the thread on the Vodafone Twitter account. I'm not very good at all this kind of thing so 🤞

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's great news @swiftypa We'll pick this up and take a look at your options. If we've not replied just yet, let me know your social ID and I'll be happy to chase this for you 😊

Hi, 

Not sure what you mean by social id? Sorry I'm not up to date with using such websites or forums...my first time 

No problem @swiftypa this is basically your username for your social media account, we will then be able to search for your post with this 😊

Hi

I was asked to post a message with a link on here to my original message which I have.

What I'm finding frustrating is, ringing Vodafone technical, speaking to different people regards this, getting different conflicting information, being told I'll get a call back within 24hrs, then hear absolutely nothing!! I then have to start this whole process again. 

Is there no one that can accurately tell me if my issue can or can't be sorted, call me when they say they will and put this to bed!! 

I know and accept I should have backed my email account up, but I have very important court documents on my email that I may need access too in the future. 

Can someone please help????

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@swiftypa, we should be able to reconnect the number if it was disconnected within the last 90 days but we would need to check these details with you in a more private setting e.g. social media, calling 08080 408 408 from a non Vodafone phone, live chat

You should also be able to use an alternative email address to verify to your Yahoo account if this has been set up. Alternative to this I would suggest contacting Yahoo support for alternative ways to unlock your emails

At this very moment, I'm on the phone to Vodafone who are telling me it's not possible!! Again I'm getting conflicting advice. I contacted Vodafone within 90 days and was told I had to wait till after the 90 days was up. So I did, now I'm being told had I contacted Vodafone withing 90 days a simple reconnection was possible!!! 

Which is it to be???  This guy im on the phone with now is saying no it can't be done!! 

I have contacted Yahoo 3 times, given them 7 email counts to prove its my account, but because I'm not giving them the correct answers to their security questions, they won't give me access. I really wish I knew how to verify my account from another but sadly and frustrating as is is i don't know how....