cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retrieving an old mobile number, how to go about it?

markc89
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a little help, or should I say information on retrieving an old mobile number that I once had with Vodafone. However, I had this number in questions most probably touching just over 10 years ago!

I do remember the number very well and after a search to find out who the owner/carrier is, it does indeed come back as Vodafone. I've even tried calling the number and it's currently not in use.

Initial thoughts and comments I'm sure will be that there's no chance, and indeed it may have even been used by somebody else after me. However, surely there must be some way to retrieve an old number, not in use. I used to work for a telecommunications company and providing that the number was not use and was not in a quarantine pool, we could reassign all numbers that originated within our company. In fact, some time ago you could even buy the number and we could hold it.

I know every company is different but I have a feel it's more of a case of we can't really be bothered, or don't bother us with stupid requests, just take a god damn new number and let me get back to chomping on my pen.

Having spoken with customer services PayAsYouGo, I found them very unhelpful, as expected in all honesty. They simply searched the number and said I can't find it. Now, however, I'm looking for a serious answer with some possible positive outcome.

How can I retrieve this number? even if it means paying to Vodafone for it? I don't even mind being on the Vodafone network in order just to have it. And more so, who in Vodafone will be most likely to help and point me in the right direction.

Thank you to all in advance.

Mark

108 REPLIES 108

Hi - I have the exact same problem. The number was originally with Vodafone (I’m a former Vodafone employee), then moved to O2 and finally to Three. I closed the contract almost 2 years ago, and it looks like the number has gone back to Vodafone. I’d love to retrieve it, if possible?

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @alessandrov when you left us, you should have requested a PAC to take your number with you. If this wasn't the case, as you're no longer with us, we won't be able to get the old number back for you I'm afraid. 

Thanks @adam . I left Vodafone in 2007, moved the number to O2, then moved it again to 3 in 2015, and finally cancelled my 3 contract in 2017. Would the number be back with the original issuer, or with 3?

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@alessandrov It would depend on how quickly the number was reused (if it has been). It would still apply that we wouldn't be able to get the number back. It may just be worth contacting your current provider to check. 

I have the same problem. I have a mobile number which I've had for 19 years but has been put into quarantine (and according to someone in the vodafone shop, can no longer be retrieved). Please can someone from Vodafone community assist with retrivieving the number. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@oli22shots - That certainly is a long time! We can take a look and see if it’s still available to be reactivated.

So we can do this, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

Sorry to latch on to an old thread but I too need to recover an old number, or at least find out if it's possible. Please help!

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Blah123 If the number hasn't been recycled and is still available, we can try and get it back for you although as I'm sure you can understand, we wouldn't be able to make any promises! Pop us your details over using the link in my private message and we'll give it a go 😊 

Hi Alex,

I've just (end of October) lost my mobile number as it was on Vodafone PAYG and it got terminated through lack of use. I would really like to keep this number if at all possible; can you help please?

Cheers,

Mark

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sherbey We can have a look for you 😊 Please get in touch using the link in my private message and we'll be in contact.