cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Transferring my present sim card with all its data, contacts etc. to a new phone

Marrea
4: Newbie

I want to buy a new phone from Vodafone to replace my present one (a Sony Xperia E5) which unfortunately has a failing battery which is not user replaceable.  I have seen a kit advertised online with a video on how to do this but I do not feel at all confident about attempting it.  I want to keep the same phone number, retain all my present data (contacts, apps, etc.) and stay on my present PAYG £5 Big Bundle.  When my husband bought a new phone a few years ago (there was nothing wrong with his phone - he simply wanted a better specified one) he went to the Aylesbury Vodafone shop and they did the swap for him.  However that was before anyone had heard of Covid.  I am not too keen on going to a busy town centre these days.

So, my question is if I buy a new phone from Vodafone online, will I be able to transfer my present sim card to this new phone myself at home without any problems?  I am afraid I am pretty clueless as to how exactly this works!

You can view the background to this in the post started by me at

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Replacing-battery-on-Sony-Xperia-E5/m-p/2674703#M148235

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Marrea 

You will probably find the SIM card you are currently using will fit the new phone. There is further information on this link: Multi SIM . Otherwise, complete a SIM swap here: Replacement SIM cards and use the replacement SIM in your new phone. You will find everything will remain the same and you will have the same amount of credit and BVB.

As far as the BVB you are using, you are probably aware that this was withdrawn from sale November 2019, if you still have the same bundle you have done well.

AnnS

Thank you so much for this, which is most helpful. According to this website the E5 takes a Nano-SIM:

https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/06403c55

I think the best thing to do, once I have decided what replacement phone to have, is to ring up Vodafone and have a chat about what I want to try and do.

Yes, it’s odd about the BVB I am on.  They did take £10 back in April this year but since then it’s always been £5.  No doubt when I get a new phone that will change!