Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

eSIM on Pay as you Go

catean
10: Established
10: Established

Hi Vodafone,

The information on the website states that esim is not available to PAYG customers but I have to option in MyVodafone to change my SIM into an eSIM. What happens if I try to switch a PAYG from a SIM to a eSIM trough that MyVodafone procedure?

Thanks,

George

47 REPLIES 47

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Wouldn't you still need Vodafone UK to allow the process on your Payg account.

I think that maybe the sticking point.

Personally I wouldn't chance it @catean 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @catean 

At the moment we're not supporting esims for PAYG.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Website though, as it's something that we're looking to introduce soon 🙂

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

When it comes to Vodafone it's always a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

I too have esim listed in my pay go online account and I am able to select it (no idea if it works though):

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 08.26.57.png

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 08.27.11.png

WelshPaul

I'm not a fan of eSim myself. It's much easier just to pop out a sim card and stick it in a new phone.

What happens to anyone that doesn't have access to a WiFi network? How do they proceed to enable eSim on their devices?

eSIM was designed for IoT devices but it's very useful in phones, tablets and computers too. You can have dual SIM without having 2 sim trays, you can have instant local or roaming data travel packages when abroad. Yes, you need WiFi to download you profile, but you can do that easier than swapping a plastic sim card. Normally, when we have full eSIM support, you should have the option to login in the myvodafone app and just download your eSIM. In the future, you can do that on you TV, Car, Connected dog tracker, you imagination is the limit and have access to you data package from Vodafone or whatever carrier.

WelshPaul

@catean wrote:

eSIM was designed for IoT devices but it's very useful in phones, tablets and computers too. You can have dual SIM without having 2 sim trays, you can have instant local or roaming data travel packages when abroad. Yes, you need WiFi to download you profile, but you can do that easier than swapping a plastic sim card. Normally, when we have full eSIM support, you should have the option to login in the myvodafone app and just download your eSIM. In the future, you can do that on you TV, Car, Connected dog tracker, you imagination is the limit and have access to you data package from Vodafone or whatever carrier.

1. Most dual sim phones only have a single sim tray.

2. Why can't you one have instant local or roaming data travel packages if using a sim card? Surely this is account related rather than a sim/eSim thing?

3. Switching eSims isn't easier. I currently pop out one sim and insert another, job done! With eSim I have to navigate to vodafone.co.uk > click on login > enter my credentials > wait for security code > pick up phone and read text containing my security code > go back to webpage and enter that code > click submit > click on account services > click on swap your sim > select eSim > select device type > click on submit... It goes on and on

I prefer to login to myvodafone account and just activate my subscription on my laptop, ipad, iphone, second mobile phone, apple watch and other devices than managing multiple plastic simcards.

Roaming wise , i prefer when I land somewhere just to scan a QR code on a wall at the airport and have an instant data account at local prices instead of buying a plastic sim and play with that while on the go.

@WelshPaul 

There are now devices that do not have a physical SIM slot. My Samsung/Huawei watches for example :Smiling:

Making/receiving calls/sms is handy where you do not want to take your phone.

It's not for long conversations as it's via Laudspeaker or BT headphones (if you have it with you). So an emergency contact option in crowded places etc.

I have noticed that MNO/MVNO's see the eSIM and wearable devices as an extra revenue stream and want to utilise it with special price plans (Apple Watch !!!!).

I only want to be able to "occasionally" make/receive calls/sms on my wearable devices and not having to pay monthly for it :Smiling:

simax
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Does anyone know as yet if you can move from Vodafone PAYG on an eSim to Voxi and remain on an eSim?