Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

how long to activate a payg sim card?

moonlit-knight
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, how long does it normally take to activate a payg sim card? I was under the impression that it was instant after making a chargeable call or text. I have sent two texts and made a phone call so I am assuming it is now activated.

Unfortunately I can't receive calls or texts so was just wondering if it takes time to fully activate? 

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @moonlit-knight 

I notice from your previous thread that you were porting in a number, if you have given Vodafone your PAC, the SIM will activate when your number has been ported and you should receive a text message confirmation from Vodafone when completed and fully on the network.

If there are issues with your port in, I would recommend speaking to Vodafone or if you are on Twitter or Facebook follow this link for direct help and support from the Social Media Team.

Hi AnnS,

I haven't ported my number yet. I did fill in the form but couldn't receive the security code by text which is how I know I can't receive texts. I am still using the temporary number from the New sim.

AnnS

Hi @moonlit-knight 

That explains your problems.  I am wondering if this is a problem setting up text messaging on your phone, the first thing to do is to make sure you have the correct text messaging centre number entered on the settings, this should be +447785016005.  If you search the device guides here you will be able to find full instructions on setting up text messaging.

If you haven't got around to setting up an online account or downloading the My Vodafone Application  I would recommend dialling 2345 for the top up line, this will confirm the added credit.  Also try dialling 17298, this will activate the SIM.

If you have added credit are are using PAYG 1, there is absolutely no reason being unable to use the full service.

Lets hope this works for you.

edited to add: @moonlit-knight  Just remembered you are not a Newbie to Vodafone and you will already be very knowledgeable.  Do hope you will be able to receive text messages but if there are still problems don't hesitate to contact the Social Media Team, they will be able to check your account.

Thanks for trying to help AnnS, 

I checked the message centre number before posting and can confirm that it was set up automatically and is correct. I also phoned the top up line you and it confirmed I have a big bundle ( I know this has activated because I now have 248 voice call minutes left of 250 ) 

When I call 17298 it confirms my sim is activated. But I still can't receive messages and when I call the number from my landline I get a message saying "please check that number and try again" like it doesn't exist.

If it's still not working tomorrow I guess I will have to call vodafone.

Thanks

AnnS

Hi @moonlit-knight 

If you are also unable to receive calls and get that message when calling the phone, it may be an account issue.  Try doing a manual network roam on the phone network connection settings by selecting an alternative network, wait for it to reject the request and reselect Vodafone, followed by a reboot, this wll refresh and update the SIM on the networ.k.

Fingers crossed won't be necessary to contact Vodafone and will be working tomorrow.

Hi AnnS,

I did as you suggested with regards to choosing an alternative network. reselecting vodafone and rebooting, but it's still not working. I will give it until tomorrow afternoon to see if anything changes. I will let you know the outcome in due course. 

Thanks once again for trying to help

Hi AnnS 

Just wanted to let you know that my account or sim card must have updated overnight as I am now up and running and receiving calls and texts as normal 

Thanks 

AnnS

Fantastic @moonlit-knight 

No need to contact Vodafone now.

AnnS,

Don't speak too soon! 😛

I am going to fill in their online form later to get my old number ported over, but hopefully that will go through smoothly....