Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

old Nokia PAYG phone

sillyme
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have an old Nokia Lumia smartphone PAYG. How do I use new Covid app on this and how much will it cost. 

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @sillyme 

As long as your phone has the required software to run any app you should be fine.

Are you referring the the COVID-19 Tracker App or another? 

Apps typically use Mobile Data or Wi-Fi unless their are in app purchases that cost a person to use @sillyme 

Normally when downloading an app you'll need to allow the required permissions if applicable and your happy doing so and follow the set up parameters and upon launching the app should walk you though how to use it.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

It will be the tracker app.  I'm on the IOW

BandOfBrothers

Ok @sillyme 

So if you go into your particular app store if applicable and look at the COVID-19 tracker app if it's available it will show you in its description what's needed to run it in regards to a phones firmware and what permissions it will need on set up.

Some apps can be sideloaded if its not available in an app store for any reason.

If you Google Search you may also find further details from the developer, tech people and possibly others who are using it right now.

You may need to use another phone model.

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @sillyme 

The problem you are going to have is Microsoft ended all support for Windows phones December 2019, and this means you would be unable to download any new applications to the phone, also the with the end of Microsoft support with no further updates the phone become more unstable but should be OK for calls and texts messsages.

The application here: Covid 19 Tracker is available to download from the Google Play or Apple Store and not available to download to a Windows phone.

You really need an Android or Apple device to use the application and if you only need the phone for the app, it may be worth looking at the lower end spec phones where you can instal and use the app.

BandOfBrothers

COVID 19 tracker. 

It is available on some devices @sillyme 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Yes @sillyme 

It's available to download to a Windows 10 PC, but not to a Windows unsupported Microsoft phone.

As I have mentioned, you really will need to look at an Android or Apple device to download the application and manage from your phone.  If you look at the Vodafone online store, there are Android phones starting for as little as £30.00, if you go ahead check the phone memory, the app may take up a lot of memory and you need a phone that can cope.

edited to add. @sillyme  The application being available for IOW residents is in the news this morning.  I hope you are able to download and take advantage of the application on a compatable Android or Apple device.