Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

pay as you go plan - retain number while abroad

mctsred
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Have had a phone on a pay as you go for a number of years now - was advised to make a chargeable call every 90 days or so to keep the number active., and have been diligently doing that for ages -

unfortunately have a 3G phone with standard size simcard and 3G has been disconnected where I am, so therefore unable to make the current call (90 days was up the day before yesterday😐) - cannot even log in to the vodafone portal as it prompts for security code to be sent to the phone number that is off the network!

question is - how strict is the 90 days - i.e. is it worth attempting to find a 4G or 5G phone that will accept a standard size simcard so I can make the call, or has the number been 'recycled' already.

second question - if I was to get in to the portal is there a chargeable web to text option to keep the number active?

any suggestions on keeping the number going most welcome - even if it requires a nominal topup fee every so often or something!

thanks

17 REPLIES 17

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @mctsred 

You don't mention the country where you are roaming or how long it has been since you left the UK.  Vodafone are starting to identify customers who are permanently roaming without returning to the UK and if you are in that category, it could well be a problem especially when the phone does not make a connection to a network.  If the number is important to you and you need a UK number, you could always send the SIM to someone you know in the UK to keep active in readiness for your return.

As far as topping up is concerned, you won't have any issues with topping up every 90 days, this will keep the SIM active.

It sounds like your SIM is quite old, the latest SIM's are multi SIM.  See here: Multi SIM an here: Multi SIM cards .Unfortunately, Vodafone won't send a SIM replacement to an address outside of the UK.  Also, due to fraud prevention a replacement SIM would need to be sent to the address registered to your account.

Even if you were able to cut the SIM down to size, there would be no guarantee it would work in a new phone.

Hi @AnnS,

thanks for the quick reply - country is Canada, and have not been in UK for about 2 1/2 years now - this has never been a problem - as I say it's only because they have switched off 3G here and I have an old phone that I cannot connect.

are you definitely saying that topping up every 90 days will keep the sim active - i.e. does that count as a 'chargeable call'? - just until i next return to the UK - hope so.

however that being said, how do I go about obtaining a nano or micro sim (sent to a UK address) ? what would need to be done to activate that, given that I cannot log in to my account in the portal!

thanks again!

AnnS

Hey @mctsred 

The information you need is on the link in my reply.  Take a look at SIM swap tool.

The other question to clarify is if you need a UK mobile number that you don't  use when you have not been in the UK for over 2 years. 

BandOfBrothers

@mctsred 

Activity is defined as in …

• Making a chargeable call.
  • Sending a text.
  • Using Mobile Data to access the Internet.
  • Topping up the Account.

Payg T&C's are found in …

Payg-terms-simply-july-2021.pdf and Terms-and-conditions/index. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandOfBrothers,

thanks for the info

I notice in the leaving us part, it states:

Leaving us/suspending the services. We can suspend, restrict (including, without limitation, prevent you from receiving incoming or making or sending outgoing calls and texts) or stop providing all or part of the services if: (i)you do not comply with any the terms of your Agreement with us; (ii)you do not use the service for 180 consecutive days i.e. you do not carry out any chargeable outbound activity such as making an outbound call (excluding calls to 191), sending an SMS, using data or topping up your account

in the 'choosing to stop your service' part it states

If you choose to stop using the services: If you don’t use the services for 90 consecutive days, we will send you a SMS notifying you to top up your account or make a chargeable outbound call (but not calls to 191), send a chargeable SMS or use your data. If after 45 days from the first notification you fail to do one of the above, we will send you a final notification via SMS for you to use the services. If the services remain unused after 45 days from the final notification, we will disconnect your mobile equipment and you will lose any credit held on your account.

so basically, would I be right in assuming that if I top up my account (making note of when it was done) before 180 days is up, and not making a call (due to the lack of 3G coverage) the number will remain active?

thanks again for all your assistance!

BandOfBrothers

Yes @mctsred as topping up is considered as an activity on the account.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi @BandOfBrothers,

that's great news!

thanks again! 😀

Hi @AnnS,

thanks for the info - the sim swap tool may work, however could be a problem if they can only send to the original address in the UK.

UK mobile number useful to have to be easily contactable when next in UK, that's really why.

thanks again!