Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

"Number not valid" on new PAYG sim

arry
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I've just bought a new PAYG sim and inserted in into my Samsung android. It's registered and I've put £10 of credit on it, which has successfully gone through (I've checked my balance). Lets call this Phone A.

I also have a spare phone ('B'), and I wanted to test my new sim, so I found that I can send a text message or phone calls from phone A (ie using new sim) to phone B. However when I try to call from B to A (new sim), I get the message "Number no valid" on the screen of my phone B. Also, I cannot send any texts from B to A either.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @arry 

It sounds like the SIM is not fully activated, although the SIM should be pre activated and although you are able to make calls, you would also need to answer, when this has been done you should also be able to receive incoming.

When you purchase a SIM the credit will be converted to a Big Value Bundle, this is mentioned here: Vodafone PAYG , if you do not want the bundle, the trick is to opt out of the BVB before topping up.

Also see here: Getting Started 

Should you find you are still unable to receive drop the Social Team a message by following this link Contact Us or use Live Chat or call and they will happily help.

Thanks for the response. However "....you would also need to answer, when this has been done you should also be able to receive incoming."

I tried this, but still doesn't work.

After a long wait on the phone with Vodafone support, the lady told me that the SIM has been activated to send out texts and to make phone calls, but it's not activated to receives either, and this can take 24 hours. I find that both strange and quite hard to believe. She told me to wait till tomorrow, which of course I will as I have no choice. But a part of me doesn't think I will get a solution at all even after 24 hours.

It's a simple enough problem - just not sure what the solution (if there is one) is not available.

Hi @arry 👋 To gain a little more understanding of what is causing this we would need to take a look over your account, which we can`t do here. If you are still experiencing this issue could you contact the social team though the link here and we will take a closer look into this for you.

Thanks all for replying. The problem has been resolved. I woke up this morning to find a bunch of text messages on my new SIM number. So, it seems the vodafone lady was right - the new SIM gets activated right away to make and send phone calls/texts, but it needs up to 24 hours to receive them.

Weird, but hey, my new SIM works, so I can breathe a sigh of relief.

That is fantastic to hear @arry 😊 Thanks for letting us know and I am happy everything is sorted for you now.