Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Advice on contract

Kcullen
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I’m currently with Vodafone, my contract ends the beginning of next month. I’ve got a better quote off Carphone warehouse, but with Vodafone service still. Do I need to ring up Vodafone and cancel my contract, or because I’ll be going through Carphone warehouse with Vodafone will it automatically update?

Hope this makes sense

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Kcullen 

You can go into Carphone Warehouse and upgrade through them and keep your current mobile number.

carphonewarehouse.com/upgrades. 

Make sure they upgrade you and not get you to take out a new contract.

They prefer to do this as a new contact is more beneficial to them financially.

Or ring 191 and choose the Thinking of Leaving option and speak to the Vodafone Retentions Department and see if they'll give you a similar deal.

If you go with Carphone Warehouse then discounts such as VEA Employer's Discount isn't available.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

AnnS

Hi @Kcullen 

See here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Contract-ends-I-want-to-switch-to-pay-monthly/m-p/268745... and here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Moving-a-number-from-one-phone-to-another/m-p/2687584#M6...

To cancel the previous contract and move the number to the new third party contract, the quickest way is to port out the previous number and back in on the new third party contract, if you ask Vodafone they will advise the long, taking 30 days to complete and  expensive way of moving the old number to PAYG before transferring the number to the new contract.

Thank you so much! 

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Kcullen 

All the best.  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Kcullen 

To get the cheap price you have to go for a new contract.  For example, if you look at the S21 5G on the Carphone website, you will see that the prices are from £34.00 with an upfront cost of £19.99 for a new plan compared with £51.00 with an upfront cost of £29.99 for an upgrade. That is the reason you need to follow the links in my reply and cancel the previous contract, the quickest way is by porting out and back in.

If you are going to go the upgrade route with Carphone, you might as well upgrade direct with Vodafone, it won't work out any cheaper.  Personally, I would recommend speaking to Vodafone and seeing if they can match the deal, this would save you a lot of trouble having to move the number to the new Carphone contract.

If you go the Carphone route make sure you tick the box as an existing customer, otherwise they will do a further credit check.

BandOfBrothers

I've known Carphone Warehouse also do deals in house even with upgrades and or throw in freebies @Kcullen 

It won't cost you anything to enquire.

Also as mentioned in the reply I sent It's worth also asking the Vodafone Retentions Department via 191 as they also have deals to provide.

If it goes your way it saves you having to mess about cancelling anything and jumping through hoops to try and retain your number.

Do let us know how you get on.

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Are you sure about that @BandOfBrothers ? Only for the S21 5G with Carphone, you get £100.00 cashback for a new plan with a cheaper monthly line rental, no cashback for an upgrade.

I would say go for a new plan, save money and get the cashback.  It's really no trouble transferring the number.

BandOfBrothers

Through experience yes @AnnS 

Carphone Warehouse like Vodafone UK advertise a tariff and phone deal on their websites however when speaking to either direct deals can be brokered.

It's down to the agent your speaking to or staff in the store.

i.e if they haven't hit their contract quota for the period then there more keen to not let you leave without offering a deal.

Sometimes it also pays to speak to another agent / employee / store manager if the 1st offer isn't enticing enough.

Current Phone  >

AnnS

The same applies for Vodafone @BandOfBrothers but not guaranteed and a customer won't get cashback going through Vodafone Retentions, that will be with Carphone on the deals advertised on the website. 

It still remains that the best price will be taking out a new plan with the third party and taking advantage of the cashback offered, plus the lower monthly line rental.

BandOfBrothers

I'm sure the poster will find the best tariff and monthly costing linked to the phone of choice that suites them @AnnS 

Disposable income allowing the best choice in the long term could be moving to Sim Only with Vodafone and then buying the phone direct.

Current Phone  >