Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Are Data-Only sims useable in a laptop?

Maxgbruce
2: Seeker

047EC728-9E29-42A2-9859-E3ECC0C54CE3.jpeg

I’m currently working from home and my WiFi is terrible. I use my work laptop (hp elitebook) which currently has a Vodafone sim in it working (it’s a company sim). It works perfectly and so much better than my current buildings wifi so I want to use it full time. Unfortunately though the sim is only 2gb a month (I’m currently using about 1gb a day), so I asked about it and they recommended I get my own one.

I’m happy to do this, so I was looking at deals today. I want to do Vodafone as that is the current sim I’m using and so I know it’ll be good connection. I’m either going to do the £22 12 month 48gb data only or £28 12 month unlimited data only sim.

I just want to check that this will work as I don’t want to be stuck in a 12 month contract if it doesn’t work or the sim doesn’t fit into the computer etc?

It’s got a micro sim slot and as I said I already know the laptop has the properties to run a sim as it’s using one currently. I’m basically checking (a) Vodafone are happy for me to use this data sim in a laptop at no extra cost to the contract? (B) phone sims aren’t different sizes to computer sims and this sim will fit fine? (C) connection shouldn’t be any weaker?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for those pictures @Maxgbruce and it's great to hear we've helped making working from home much easier during these times! 

There should be no reason this won't work the same as the company SIM you've been using previously and the set-up should be exactly the same. You also have 14 days to try it out 😊

Who are you with at the moment for your Wi-Fi? We also have some great deals on our super fast broadband, or if you're tied into a contract you may find our GigaCube beneficial if you'd like to connect to more than one device using our network 👍

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Maxgbruce

61F50387-34E3-4857-9C0A-3D7BFEEEB402.jpeg

Sim slot is here - and the first picture is off as I had cellular data turned off (saving my 2gb for when I’m busy and internet drops)

Nowadays no restriction if you use the data sim or normal sim for data usage only! Three network support is out of date as they do believe that it's impossible task! I do use normal sim to access internet in my 4G route - F miracle! 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for those pictures @Maxgbruce and it's great to hear we've helped making working from home much easier during these times! 

There should be no reason this won't work the same as the company SIM you've been using previously and the set-up should be exactly the same. You also have 14 days to try it out 😊

Who are you with at the moment for your Wi-Fi? We also have some great deals on our super fast broadband, or if you're tied into a contract you may find our GigaCube beneficial if you'd like to connect to more than one device using our network 👍

Thanks @Tash!

Great to hear I'll get straight to ordering one now - I think I'm going to do the unlimited data max so its the best connection possible.

Is the 14 day try out basically if it doesn't work as well as you'd like or you change your mind, you can end the contract? And is this with all contracts?

Thanks,

Max

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes @Maxgbruce. If for any reason you're not happy with the service in the first 14 days, simply contact us, we'll close the account and you'll just pay for the days it was active.