Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Completely ripped off by Vodafone with recent upgrade, complete morons

TERESA31
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I upgraded my phone last november, with the offer the I could part exchange my current phone so basically I would get the new handset for free and £15 off my bill. 

Due to corona they said that I needed to send the phone into them via mail. Not a problem. I followed the instructions FROM VODAFONE which was to print off the pre-made address tag that they provide you with and all you have to do is stick it onto your parcel. 

I did this, roughly a week later I hadn't heard anything so I rang them up to make sure they had received it. I was told I had to wait 18 days (I think) before I could get an update and someone would be in touch.  So I wait and still hear nothing after a month so call them again, again, I get told not to worry and to be patient and they have it all under control. For some idiotic reason I believed them. 

Fast forward another month and I'm starting to get a bit worried so contact them AGAIN only to be told that they can't find the phone and there's not record of it being delivered and kept asking me for a tracking number. Apparently the people that work for vodafone have no idea what I am talking about when I explain I sent it with the method instructed by vodafone, i just got a confused response and they kept repeating themselves about tracking. 

Also in this time I've also found out that they have sent my account to collections, when I call them up I am on hold for over an hour so I gave up. They then arrange to call me at a designated time. Surprise, surprise, no call but they did call me two hours after the agreed time. 

Long story short we are now in march and vodafone are claiming that they never got my phone and because I don't have any tracking they won't apply the trade in price. Even though the method I sent it was AS INSTRUCTED by vodafone and I couldn't drop it straight into a store due to coronavirus. 

The funny thing is this is the SECOND time they have 'lost' my handset. When I upgraded before they also claimed the same thing and eventually found it 

Also why is it impossible to get a native english speaker on the customer service line? Or at the very least someone who doesn't sound like a rabbit in headlights repeating a script

I am so SICK of this company and their b???##~## 

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

That's strange as I was under the impression Vodafone sent a Returns Pack.

Personally if I was to send something like a phone I'd send it in a way that on delivery a signature was attained so I knew that they had the package.

Vodafone like others businesses in the UK use outsourced Call Centres but also use UK one's but it's pot luck who you get connected to. I believe a person can ask to be connected to a UK call centre after making the initial connection.

We do have a social media team who can help with account associated issues but not over the forum.

A person has to use Facebook or Twitter.

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

For an account to be passed to Collections this usually means the bill hasn't been paid. 

Is this the case ?

Have payments come out of your account via Direct Debit  ?

It may be beneficial to check your Credit File too to see if anything negative has been applied like a late payment marker or 6 year default.

What-to-do-if-you-can-t-pay-your-bill. 

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

What is outstanding is the trade in price for my old phone. Which I won’t pay as I’m in dispute.

No they email a label to print off 

AnnS

Hi @TERESA31 

The golden rule in any dispute is to pay the bill and sort it out afterwards, withholding payment will hurt you a lot more than Vodafone, by withholding payment you have immediately put yourself in the wrong and in default of contract.  Vodafone have already sent the account to Collections and have probably already placed a marker on your file.

As far as trading in your phone is concerned, Vodafone advise to get Proof of Postage here: Vodafone Trade In 

It may be that there is a delay at the receiving end, Vodafone are probably quite short staffed at the moment.  The best thing now is to pay what is owed as soon as you possibly can before Vodafone disconnect you service.

When the account is up to date speak to the Social Team and they will do some investigation on your behalf and help where possible. They can be contacted through Twitter or Facebook here: Contact Us 

I might consider it if I had £250 spare cash lying around 🙄

BandOfBrothers

Hi @TERESA31 

I totally understand your in dispute in regards to the phone you've sent in for Trade-In but until Vodafone confirmed they have the phone in their hands and taken responsibility and apply what was agreed in regards to the Trade-in deal, then holding back payment is your own personal choice knowing I assume there would be repercussions to this as your then in default of your contractual Terms and Conditions due to not paying your bill.

If this is the case then in my experience from other posts here , elsewhere and my own similar personal experience Vodafone won't remove markers or defaults from your Credit File as they have a duty of care to add such markers and defaults so any other business creating a search on you aware aware.

Paying the outstanding amount would change the status on your Credit File from Outstanding to Settled which is a more positive marker on your Credit File.

I also appreciate and understand not all have large amounts of cash funds hanging around due to these unprecedented time's etc but I'm not trying to be harsh here but you have allowed the amount to accrue to this figure.

Simply put we as customers can't help you from your posts on the forum apart from sharing our own experiences and giving advice and what should really have been done by you , and what to do now.

The Vodafone Social Media Team's can't help over the forum which is why I gave you the Social Media link in my very first reply to you as they'll do what they can and advise accordingly.

Again I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

It hasn’t accrued to anything, I’m still paying my bills it’s simply the trade in amount outstanding 

chistery
16: Advanced member

Does the label they emailed have a tracking number on it?

If it was a pre-paid label, then I don't think you can add any tracking method to it (never been able to do this myself before). All you can do is get proof of postage, but that doesn't prove it was received. That being said, Vodafone paid for shipping and so it is their responsibility to choose a suitable postage method and chase up any damage or loss claims that arise. After all, the contract is between the person who processes and pays shipping and the shipping company themselves. Vodafone can request proof of postage and the sender needs to supply that, but that is where liability ends for the sender. Personally, I would have paid the £250 but only after communicating I do so under protest! I would then start the small claims process and take them to court for the return of my £250 and any fees incurred as a result.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

chistery

Most pre-paid labels I've used recently do have a "barcode number" which can be used for tracking and is printed on the receipt I get when I hand them over at the Post Office. It obviously depends on the service used, but most returns services I've used do this.