Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

End of contract decisions

marktheshark
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi everyone,

My pay monthly contract comes to an end on 20 Mar 2023 and normally for as long as I can remember I have just renewed with a new phone and plan, however this time round I don't want to take out a new phone plan. In part this is because when I checked out the early upgrade offers available a new phone and plan was working out much more expensive than I have experienced in the past, and also because I'm happy with the phone I have.

So the dilemma I now have is what to do and when (timing). My current plan has a discount (which bizarrely ends 3 days before my contract end date?), and also I have a trade in discount, this means that from 21 Mar billing date if I do nothing my bill will go up almost £40!

Looking at SIM only plans they all seem a bit on the expensive side unless you opt for a 24 month one and even then some still work out a bit pricey. It's too early yet to see what pricing or discount (if any!) I would actually get offered post contract as it only shows me options to add as an additional plan at the moment., and I guess no point calling up until I'm actually in final month?  Also if I changed to a SIM plan at end of Mar would that plan start immediately or from end of existing contract (i.e. 21 Mar) and does it mean I am going to get instantly clobbered with a prise rise in April?

I am happy with Vodafone in terms of signal and service etc, so it just comes down to whether I can get a SIM plan at the right price.

Any tips on what to do when? 

9 REPLIES 9

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Go with an MVNO @marktheshark and save yourself some ££! Talk Mobile use the Vodafone network, in fact Vodafone own the company. Prices are a lot lower and their plans don't require a credit check and include 5G. 

simax
14: Advanced member

E2save are doing a 12-month 100GB sim only plan for £7.67 a month (via cash back). You’d need to take it out as a new line and port your existing number out/back in to do it. A little bit of a faff but worth it for the value…

Thanks @simax wow that is a good deal and worth the double port faff to obtain, not sure I'm disciplined enough to file the cashback requests when needed though! 😕

Still in looking around there are some good SIM only deals out there so looking like the way to go.

simax

The company email you when it’s time to claim each one as well just in case you forget and it’s all done electronically….. just so you know 🙂

CEB5000
4: Newbie

I have the same dilemma. 12 days left until contract end and no direct sim only offers, only phone plans with inflated prices on 36mth contracts. I stand to lose the £3 together discount if I do nothing. What I would like to know is if I buy a sim only or new pay monthly handset contract from a third party, will it link to my existing account and retain the together discount?

Hi @CEB5000 👋 Have you spoken to the upgrades team on 191 or via Live chat, they will be able to look over all your options, including SIM only to make sure we get you on a suitable plan. The Vodafone Together discount doesn't currently apply to 3rd party connections, so I would advise to speak to the upgrades team, so they can find you a suitable plan and keep your discount running 😊

Hi Andy, I spoke to live chat and was informed I have no sim only options until after my contract end date in 11 days. Crazy policy that offers me no incentive to stay with Vodafone. 

That is a crazy policy, makes no sense for them to adopt that really.

I was hoping to speak to them in my last month of contract to see what SIM only deals they have but I have have to actually wait until after my contract end date may as well just PAC out elsewhere.

It was never like this before but seems to me to be their way of encouraging you to upgrade to one of their extortionate 36 month pay monthly phone/airtime packages or nothing. I am requesting PAC today to transfer elsewhere.