Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Failed Credit Check

johnrlowe
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

It appears Vodafone are still failing people's credit check despite no issues and no credit check appearing on experien account. Can anyone explain this? Been with Vodafone for over 15 years, pay monthly by direct debit. Never missed a payment, have a 999 score with experien and yet I go to upgrade and on the last page it instantly rejects upgrade saying I failed a credit check. Checked experien account and no check has been made on me. Used the online chat, upgrade team couldn't help as they only deal with upgrades and not finance, finance couldn't help and told me to speak to upgrade team to see if they can sort it. Was then told to cancel existing contract and then apply as a new customer and that might work. Great customer service. Needless to say I did cancel contract, but have now gone to another provider. Easy way to lose customers!

15 REPLIES 15

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Since the introduction of the new Vodafone Evo Plans which require a Credit Check due to the new way they are split into two parts , one being the airtime and the other being the loan for the phone we have seen a few posts from people who have conducted their account well and have good credit scores being rejected.

If you perform a forum search you'll see similar posts and the advice contained within them which may also help.

Here is one of these threads > https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Credit-check. 

Vodafone wouldn't be able to tell you why the application failed as their system just tells them it's a Yes or No.

You could ask Vodafone Customer Services / Vodafone Credit Team to manually put the Credit Check through to see if that works.

If these are hard Credit Checks however they will appear on your Credit File and can have an impact on your Credit Scire which is why people are advised to leave at least 90 days before each credit check to allow the Credit File to recover.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via Facebook messenger or Twitter DM might be able to help.

No account access is available via this forum.

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

I certainly wouldn't suggest to cancel your contrat yo start again. 

You would lose your mobile number unless you used a Pac to move to another network.

Other options if your phone is ok would be to move to a Sim Only contract or consider Vodafone Payg or Vodafone Voxi or let your current contract automatically drop onto a 30 day rolling contract which happens when a contract reaches full term.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Edit _ Sorry to see this has resulted in you moving to a new mobile network provider.

I hope they are able to provide a good network signal and data speeds where you reside, work and commute.

All the best.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I've seen a credit check fail because the link had failed and the system defaulted to "computer says no".   Speak to the Social Media team again and ask them to escalate to Credit File Support.   They have access to the full history and will be able to see if the rejection is correct or not.  If it is, they won't give you a reason, but at least you'll know it's been examined.

If this is a persistent issue, I would imagine there'll be at least a bit of an exodus to other networks and it'll be examined.

SteveD81
2: Seeker

I had the exact same thing happen to me: 995/999 credit score, a customer for ten years with no missed payments, indeed I've never missed a payment to anyone and they tell me I've failed a credit check for an upgrade on a cheaper contract than I'm on now. When I phoned up to ask what was going on, I was told they cannot re-check me for another three months. I put in a complaint and gave them feedback regarding this when requested to but have heard absolutely nothing further. Needless to say when my contact fully expires I will be moving to another provider as this customer service experience has been nothing short of abysmal.

AnnS

Hi @SteveD81 

See the link below on how you can appeal your credit check:

Credit Checks 

When you appeal you need to make sure Vodafone does a manual search and not a computerised search.

Thank you @AnnS but my mind is made up, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to remain a Vodafone customer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Device plans tend put the price of your tariff up so you are in effect paying interest in my opinion.

I know o2 do not externally credit check you if you have been paying on time on SIM only or device plan and choose to ugrade.  They rely on their internal system.  Even with higher end phones like S21 and x3 pro - I was offered these and told I wouldn't be scored as I was automatically approved - I declined them and moved to SIM only with Vodafone. 

Vodafone may be the responsible network in terms of risk or debts but if customers leave then it's counter productive.  One thing I have noticed is people tend to value the mobile phone more than other debts so would pay these as priority but again just my opinion based on real life experiences (not mine) gladly I haven't been placed in that dilemma.

I definitely would advocate avoiding networks for handset purchases and looking for interest free options to buy from a retailer if funds don't allow an outright purchase now.

I have 3 Vodafone SIM only plans with better speeds than o2, more data and paying less than any airtime plans I've seen attached to device plans on any networks.

Rhino123

Same issue. After trying to explain to them - told computer says no "90 days" etc 

I logged into TransUnion and see they searched for me on my old address, despite my current address 5+ years on my mobile app and bills. 

Post the declined I got an email saying account had been updated - fishy hey! 

I'm writing with the evidence and an actual explanation.

Disgraceful treatment for loyal customer - and they used the wrong information for the check .

Needless to say have quit and joined Sky who shock horror had no issue credit checking me.

I would never ever recommend Vodafone ever again 

Just had the same problem. Applied for an upgrade and got the response "Credit check failed".

Put the following complaint in:

"I have checked my credit files and there is nothing of even the slightest concern and Equifax have told me to contact yourselves as only Vodafone will know the reason I have been declined. No payments have been missed for my Vodafone account (or any other account) but I have noticed that the account address on my credit file is not my current address or my address when I last upgraded. It seems that when I telephoned yourselves to upgrade back in 2021 I changed the delivery address as I was looking after a friend during the covid-19 pandemic. Instead of only changing the delivery address it looks as if the account address was changed as well. I have no idea if this has any bearing on my credit refusal or not. I have held a Vodafone account since 1990 when I was given Racal Vodafone shares as part of the purchase. The account I’m trying to upgrade has been with yourselves for over 25 years without a problem.

I cannot wait 90 days to try again as I will be out of contract before then and will be paying full rate for a phone that I have already paid for. Also, if I’m declined again, which is highly likely as my circumstances will still be the same, then you expect me to pay for a further 90 days without discount for a phone I have already paid for? Where does it end? 

You can’t tell me what is wrong with my credit file so I cannot fix it! I find this whole situation embarrassing as I have never been refused credit before and could easily afford to pay for this contract up front. The new contract was for 33p a month more than I am paying now. I consider myself to be a very loyal customer and have stayed loyal to yourselves for over 25 years but you have left me no option but to see out the rest of my contract and then switch to another supplier."

The response to the complaint was to fill in a credit check appeal form, which I did and then received the following:

"I have reviewed your application which will remain as a decline at this time, as you have not met the minimum criteria in order to progress.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide any information regarding our internal policies/criteria.

I understand that this may not be the answer you were hoping for, however, you can find further information on our device financing and credit checks here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/privacy/credit-checks."

What really annoys me is that on a comparison site I can get the same deal with Vodafone for £23 a month less! I, too, have recommend Vodafone to many people over the years but never again! Good luck with your unsustainable finance model as since you changed the model in 2021 all the 24 month contracts are starting to be renewed . . . and declined.

So it's goodbye Vodafone from me! 

hi there i just upgraded to day and it went through no probs