cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How can I prevent data roaming in non-inclusive countries?

RichTheFly
3: Seeker

I'm new to Vodafone having moved over from EE.

With EE, data services were automatically suspended when roaming in countries not included with the contract unless a data package had been purchased.

I can't see how to do this with Vodafone - any suggestions? If it helps matters, the device is a Note 10+ on an unlimited plan with Global Roaming Plus.

11 REPLIES 11

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @RichTheFly 

Vodafone don't offer this service, it is down to the customer to turn off roaming and mobile data to prevent access to chargeable destinations.

If you follow this link Global roaming plus destinationsyou will see the global roaming plus inclusive destinations and destinations where there is a £6.00 daily charge.

However, Vodafone do offer 77 destinations where you won't pay any roaming charges.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Hey,

Alternative option is to set your spend cap to zero.

The data roaming charges are then capped. 

RichTheFly

Thanks for the information.  It's a shame as there are plenty of ways which Vodafone offers to restrict usage - I note they offer the option to restrict out-of-plan data usage to 50EUR. It would seem pretty logical that they could offer this to other values, including zero.

If I were to use the spending cap to prevent usage and arrive in an out-of-plan country, does the phone still connect to a data service but prevent usage?  If so, can My Vodafone still be used to make changes to settings?  I don't want to be in a downroute country without the option to easily turn off a spending cap which would prevent me from making calls.

AnnS

Hi @RichTheFly

If you set the spending cap to zero, this we will include everything, you wouldn't be able to call or text.

You would still be able to use the application but on a WiFi connection. 

Thanks Ann, I understand that.  Hence my question - if I place a spending cap of zero on my account and then arrive in an out-of-plan country, do I still have access via My Vodafone to make changes to my account in the even that I need to make a telephone call?

BandOfBrothers

You could take alternative steps such as ensure your phone is unlocked to all networks and use a local sim card.

And the mobile data can be turned Off to stop it using mobile network data and only wifi.

And some phones have their own internal settings to curb roaming and particular usage too.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @RichTheFly 

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question.

If you have access to the Application over a WiFi connection, you will be able to make changes.

However, if you are going to all this trouble you might as well just turn off your mobile data and data roaming (as mentioned in my first reply) or put the phone on offline and only use WiFi.

As alternative suggestion is to take a PAYG SIM when you visit these countries, this avoids the daily £6.00 pay monthly charge and you only pay for what you need or use.

chistery

I turn data roaming off on my account when I go to a non inclusive country.  The "Data while abroad bar" under bars and data alerts.

RichTheFly

Thanks all for your input, really appreciate it.

So, there are a few ways but I think each has their own associated problem...

Zero spending cap - would have to turn back off if I want to make calls in the non-77 inclusive destinations.  If I try and do that where there is no Wifi connection, then I'll not be able to make the change in My Vodafone as the phone wont have a data connection.  Also, this would stop me using any non-inclusive numbers in the UK.

Turning mobile data off - could do this via Android settings at any point but I just know that after a long 12hr flight, I'm bound to forget to do this until after a few minutes by which time, I'll be out of flight mode and the phone will automatically connect to data, Watsapp and the like will become alive and I'm then billed £6 as per the contract.

Data while abroad bar - again I know there will be occasions where I'll forget and before I can get to it, I'll have been charged a £6 fee

What would be really, really nice is there was an option to reduce the "50 Euro EU RoW data spend cap" to zero.  Anyone know how I could suggest this a new feature to think about?!

Thanks again,

Rich