Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Number transfer

amrit123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi my phone is currently attached to my moms account there are three numbers on there. I want mine to be separate with a new account, and the other two to remain on her original account. 

I spoke to live chat and they weren't that clear is it possible to do this via the transfer ownership page? I don't want the whole contract in my name just the one number.

24 REPLIES 24

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @amrit123 

You are going to need your Mother's help for this one.  The problem you are going to have is you can't just transfer the number, it has to be for the contract, this will be your Mother's number and contract. When the contract is in your name, you can do as you wish with the number.

If you ask your Mother to complete the transfer of ownership form, naming you as the new owner, providing you meet the credit check criteria and age eligibilty you will be the new contract owner from midnight. If you are due an upgrade, with Vodafone's three clear payments rule, make sure your Mother completes the upgrade before the transfer. The form for your Mother to complete is here:  Transfer of Ownership 

The other alternative is for Vodafone to split the account, this will give you access to the online account with responsibility for paying the direct debit but with the account still being in your Mothers name with her liable for any missed payments.

The only other way would be for your Mother to cancel the contract paying any early termination charges, put the number on PAYG for your use.  Unless out of contract, unlikely your Mother would be grateful for having to pay early termination charges.

Hope that answers your question.

Brilliant, so she will have control of the other two numbers and I'll have a fresh account with mine on? 

AnnS

@amrit123 wrote:

Brilliant, so she will have control of the other two numbers and I'll have a fresh account with mine on? 

Not quite sure what you mean @amrit123 

You don't mention the method you are going to ask your Mother to take.  If you go the change of ownership route transferring the account and number to you, it will be for the entire contract and don't forget Vodafone will be accessing your credit file to do the credit check.

I have done transfer of ownerships and I know the contract change takes place at midnight the same day, providing the check clears.

So on the account there are three numbers mine, mom and dads. 

I want to take my number from her contract and put it into my own name with my own account. 

So in the end my mom and dads number will remain on her account. And mine will be separate on a new account. I don't want to take on the entire contract just my number.

BandOfBrothers

So you'll need to open up your own pay monthly contract and then go through the transfer to move the number on your mums contract to your new contract.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Now I understand @amrit123 

This is going to be a problem for your Mum, especially when the number is in contract.  It will mean cancelling the contract and putting the number on PAYG.  Alternatively, your Mother can port out the number to any other network as PAYG and give you the SIM. When this has been done the number will be yours to do with as you wish and that will include transfering the number to your own contract by following this link: Keep My Number 

Ideally, the change of ownership route would have been the best way, you would have had what remained of the contract and number. If you are still in the 14 day return period for your new contract that might be worth thinking about.  At least that would save your Mother early termination  charges (if any).

hrym

The way I interpret this, it's a transfer of ownership and the link provided by @BandOfBrothers is what you need.

If you then want to move to another network, the usual rules about completing the contract period would apply.

I transferred a single number from a business to a personal account some years ago and it was very simple.

AnnS

Exactly @hrym 

I also provided the link in my first reply.  

Okay thanks for the replies people, I'll give it a go and see what happens fingers crossed!