Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SIM only upgrade after 3 months

hants164
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've just hit the three month mark on my SIM only deal (12 months, taken out via e2save) and I'm now eligible to upgrade to a handset deal.

The price for the handset deal direct with Vodafone is way more than I can get it as an upgrade through Mobile Phones Direct and I'm considering doing the upgrade through them.

However, when I was getting a price for an upgrade direct from Vodafone the sales guy said '1000% they won't upgrade you, it'll be a new contract and you'll have to switch numbers and pay an early termination fee on your SIM and you won't get a warranty'.

a) I'm pretty sure it will be an upgrade and that was just a sales tactic but, does anyone know for sure/have any experience of this?

b) I'm not sure if, when doing an upgrade on a 3 month old, 12 month SIM deal, it has to be done directly with Vodafone? I would think an upgrade is an upgrade and, as it says I'm eligible to upgrade now and they don't specifically state it has to be direct, it can be done anywhere? Again, anyone able to advise?

Thanks

Paul

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Speak with the insependant as specifically ask for an upgrade and specify you require to keep your number and then you can make an informed choice.

I know Carphone Warehouse do upgrades.

The thing is independants probably get a bigger kickback from the network for a new contract which is why you need to be sure.

Not sure what the Vodafone agent means about warranty ! @hants164 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @hants164 

The Application and online account will give information on upgrades dates and help to choose a phone plan. When you take out a SIM only contract direct with Vodafone and hit the 3 month mark as you have done, you will be able to upgrade to a handset deal and airtime plan when taking out the new contract direct with Vodafone on an Evo Plan here: Evo .  

This will be an upgrade from SIM only and Vodafone will be writing off the time remaining on the SIM only contact leaving you free to make a decision on the new phone and airtime tariff of your choice this means third party contracts will not be eligible for the offer and Vodafone would be asking you to pay early termination charges for the SIM only contract.

Should you decide to go the third party route, never take an upgrade, go the new contract route with a new number and save money, depending on the contract you can save up to £10 per month taking a new number for the same phone and airtime tariff.  It's easy moving the number to the new third party contract.  If you use the forum search facility, there are examples on how to proceed.

HelpfulBadger
11: Established
11: Established

Hi Paul,

The issue is that you need to be careful that you are taking out an upgrade with the third party, as their headline deals are for new contracts, and you tend to find their upgrade options have 0 cashback or discount - For example for an Samsung S21 with unlimited minutes, texts and data:

Mobiles.co.uk new - £99 up front and £40/mo (£1059 TCO if upgraded or cancelled after 24 months)

Mobiles.co.uk upg - £60 up front and £43/mo (£1092 TCO if upgraded or cancelled after 24 months)

Vodafone new - £59 up front and £50.75/mo (£1277 TCO and your handset payment automatically stops after 24 months)

Vodafone upg - Depends on discounts available

Going direct with Vodafone can work out more expensive as you've seen (and I've proven above), but you can potentially get further discounts, and with EVO plans you don't have to think about cancelling or upgrading straight away when your contract ends, because your handset and airtime are seperate. If you're going for an apple device, also consider that Vodafone offers an extended warranty which you won't get on mobiles.co.uk, and mobiles.co.uk doesn't promise you'll get an unopened device - Please note: Unfortunately we can't guarantee that the seal on your mobile phone box won't be broken. (In there help and support section)

I've just realised that you said Mobiles Phone Direct 🙈 The majority of my previous post still applies with all third parties, the main point being to check the terms and the help sections very carefully and make sure you're happy with what the third party is providing.