main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay monthly

Studying abroad

SOLVED
View solved solution
Christianacam
2: Seeker

I am a student living abroad for the year in Europe, can I still use my Vodafone contract (this contract is meant to be for 3 years and I only got it in July). Or, do I have to get a new sim from Belgium?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Hey there,

As you took out your contact in July, it means you still have free roaming in the EU as part of your deal.

This means you can go there and use your phone as you would here in the UK.

There is a caveat, as free roaming is meant to be for short visits rather than permanent living abroad, you may be contacted after a few months to alert you to the fact they've picked up on this and plan to start applying a surcharge to your usage. 

This has always been part of the terms and conditions yet I've never seen anyone come here to say it's actually happened to them. So you may be lucky. It's just something to be aware of. 

Should this happen then I would ensure your device is unlocked so you can buy and use a local Belgian sim for the remainder of your year in Belgium.

View solution in original position

View more options
2 REPLIES 2
donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Hey there,

As you took out your contact in July, it means you still have free roaming in the EU as part of your deal.

This means you can go there and use your phone as you would here in the UK.

There is a caveat, as free roaming is meant to be for short visits rather than permanent living abroad, you may be contacted after a few months to alert you to the fact they've picked up on this and plan to start applying a surcharge to your usage. 

This has always been part of the terms and conditions yet I've never seen anyone come here to say it's actually happened to them. So you may be lucky. It's just something to be aware of. 

Should this happen then I would ensure your device is unlocked so you can buy and use a local Belgian sim for the remainder of your year in Belgium.

View solution in original position

View more options
Christianacam
2: Seeker

Hi, thank you for your help! That's great 

View more options