Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Studying in France

ELM78
2: Seeker

Hi there, I'm going to study in France for 10 months and will get a local sim to use whilst there (via dual sim card slot) - what is the best / cheapest way to still receive calls on my uk sim and retain my number until I'm home? I'm currently on a pay monthly deal (1 month contract) - should I just switch to a pay as you go? Any advice gratefully received. ☺️ 

3 REPLIES 3

ELM78

Hi there, I'm going to study in France for 10 months and will get a local sim to use whilst there (via dual sim card slot) - what is the best / cheapest way to still receive calls on my uk sim and retain my number until I'm home? I'm currently on a pay monthly deal (1 month contract) - should I just switch to a pay as you go? Any advice gratefully received. ☺️ 

Mena19187
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello there! It is best if you would change your UK number to PAYG because it would save you lots of money as you would only need to receive calls on it. If you want to make calls from your UK number, don’t forget that you would be using it as ‘roaming’ and that you’ll have to check your roaming charges or add a roaming bundle if needed. If you’re going to call the UK from the local SIM card, then you’d be making ‘international calls’ meaning you need to note the charges and bundles available for that as per the French network provider you’ll be using. It is also best if you research different providers there to see which one is most cost-efficient. But more importantly, make sure your UK line, if it will be converted on a PAYG one, is  never inactive for 90 days, as this causes the line to totally disconnect and puts you in the dilemma of losing your number.

Yet, if you chose to keep your UK number on the PAYM plan you’re currently on, there won’t be any charges for you to receive calls, nor the caller as they are calling a UK number anyways. Yet you might be want to make sure when the roaming is on and off depending on your usage to avoid any unnecessary charges.

Anyways, most importantly, stay safe and enjoy your stay!

Hi there, thank you so much for your advice, that's brilliant. ☺️ x