Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Switch from Red SIM only to Basics plan

Kentbluefox
3: Seeker

I have a Red SIM-only plan that is no longer a good deal. I am past the end of the contract date and want to switch to a Basics plan. I telephoned Customer Services and was told I can't do this as it is not considered an upgrade. I was told that to get a Basics plan I must take out a new contract online and I would get a new number. He said it was not possible to keep my existing number, which is obviously what I want to do. Can anyone advise how to get round this problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Not quite  @Kentbluefox port out on PAYG to any other network.  Take out a Basic contract with a new number and port back in on the Basic contract, you will have the number on the new Basic contract within 48 hours.  Start the process at the beginning of the week, numbers don't port over a weekend on any network.

As far as moving to PAYG is concerned, yes you take out a Basic contract when the number moves after 30 days.  

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS

That's correct @Kentbluefox , it's not considered an upgrade.

To keep your current number is not too complicated.  The options are

Move the Red contract number to PAYG, this takes 30 days to complete and take out a Basic contract with the Red number.

port out the Red contract number to any other network, port back in on the new Basic contract, this would be the quickest option, does the job and you will have the Red number on a Basic contract.

Hope that helps.

Kentbluefox

Thanks @AnnS 

I am not sure I fully understand. To port out the Red contract to another network, presumably I would need to have a contract with the other network? This seems quite a complicated option. 

If I move the number to PAYG, can I do that while staying with Vodafone and then switch to a Basics plan after 30 days?

AnnS

Not quite  @Kentbluefox port out on PAYG to any other network.  Take out a Basic contract with a new number and port back in on the Basic contract, you will have the number on the new Basic contract within 48 hours.  Start the process at the beginning of the week, numbers don't port over a weekend on any network.

As far as moving to PAYG is concerned, yes you take out a Basic contract when the number moves after 30 days.