Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlimited Max plan but only getting 10mb speed

nathanp
4: Newbie

Hi All,

Just upgraded and got previously 50-60mb speeds on my 45gb tariff, since upgrading to max I have gone down to 10mb.

Rang them up tonight and the woman on the phone said that I was on the middle 10mb tariff.  She said she would talk to someone in the upgrades team.  They came back and said I was on the unlimited max plan.

Spoke to a man in technical support who was giving me the blurb that it might be my phone that isn't working properly (S10 5G).  Seems strange that the lady said I was on the middle 10mb plan and that was the speed I was getting.

If not sorted tomorrow will return phone and go back to previous tariff.  Shame.

Worth seeing if anyone else has this issue.

Nathan

28 REPLIES 28

I'm having the same issues prior to upgrade I was on the 60gb entertainment plans hitting 50-60mb and 10+ uploads.

Since upgrading to max unlimited plan, downloads are 4-11mb depending on time of day, uploads rarely pass 2mb!!!! Mostly 0.5-1mb.

Absolutely ridiculous at the end of my tether with Vodafone, got suckered in to upgrading really wish I hadnt. 

GreatBritian
4: Newbie

Deleted.

Simonmcdonnell
2: Seeker

Yes having exactly the same problem.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Simonmcdonnell If you're still experiencing issues, please pop us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to get to the bottom of what may be causing this for you with your speeds. Please include your Community username and a link to your post - you then won't need to repeat yourself and we can help quickly.

tbtim

I'm having similar problems. At first, I thought it was going to be magic bullet to poor ADSL. I bought unlimited max on a 30 day rolling contract to try out via mobile broadband / sim only. I can't get any other mobile carriers where I live so was chuffed when I found out vodaphone was doing an unlimited contract.

At the beginning (say for first week), on testing it seemed to be 10-12mbps. Out-of-hours, before 0730 or after 2200 sometimes got the connection up to 15mbps.  I was exceptionally happy with this as my rural ADSL is around 2mbps. Subsequently spent hundreds on decent router, booster aerials, installed cables to loft, and all was well.

The following 5 weeks... Frequently it's down to 2-3mbps. Or too slow to do a speed test. On average, around 5. Maybe 8 off peak. It's certainly not "max" even as I seemed to get originally (I half wish it had never been faster at the start!). If I turn on my work VPN, speed can double instantly. I contacted support, and mysteriously a fault suddenly appeared at my tower. No improvement when fixed.

There's definitely throttling going on once you hit a data ceiling. Fair enough, but don't sell it as unlimited, or max, because it's not. By my experience that's false advertising. So at least be honsest about it, put it in the contract, and call it trafficsense or otherwise.

I'm quite happy to pay the money. But I really want the better service. So what to do?

- Accept it is what it is being frustrated it could be better?

- Downgrade to the <10 version because that's what I'm getting (or will that make it even slower)?

Hi @tbtim 👋 there can be a few reasons for why your speed has deteriorated since taking out your connection, so we can investigate this further can you contact our social teams here where we will be happy to take a closer look at this for you. 

Just to note @Andy, the social teams weren't able to provide any reasons on speed deterioration, nor investigate further.

I was advised to continue my discussion with customer relations.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@tbtim The only reason for this would be if you have an ongoing complaint that has already reach our Customer Relations team. They are still more than capable to help with your query, along with dealing with your complaint. 

Reassuring to know they were capable to deal with my query there and but would not. Instead, I contacted CR waiting a few days for a response.  They had asked me to record my speeds at different times of day for a week so the issue could be assessed. I did that and sent on the information to them. The response I got was:

The network issue at your postcode has been resolved .... As you are on a 30 day SIM only contract, we request you to opt for a different price plan as per your requirement. To check other options, you can either contact us on call or via chat through your Vodafone app.... I hope this has addressed your concerns. To accept this offer, or if you have any further questions....
The issue wasn't resolved. And a wasted effort collecting the speed data.

My experience using the Unlimited Max plan for home wifi, is that the speed is throttled to max.10Mbps when a (unknown) data ceiling is reached - which is fairly quickly (i.e. under a week) for fairly modest use. Watching iPlayer occassionally, working from home, etc.

All I want is clarity on the throttling policy before deciding whether to sign a long term contract so I can make an informed decision, or advice on how to improve my connection speed.

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if this situation is still continuing? I too am looking for a rural solution to standard ADSL woes and this looks like a great idea but not if Vodafone unlimited data sim is a complete misnomer.