Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlimited Max plan but only getting 10mb speed

nathanp
4: Newbie

Hi All,

Just upgraded and got previously 50-60mb speeds on my 45gb tariff, since upgrading to max I have gone down to 10mb.

Rang them up tonight and the woman on the phone said that I was on the middle 10mb tariff.  She said she would talk to someone in the upgrades team.  They came back and said I was on the unlimited max plan.

Spoke to a man in technical support who was giving me the blurb that it might be my phone that isn't working properly (S10 5G).  Seems strange that the lady said I was on the middle 10mb plan and that was the speed I was getting.

If not sorted tomorrow will return phone and go back to previous tariff.  Shame.

Worth seeing if anyone else has this issue.

Nathan

28 REPLIES 28

simax
14: Advanced member

Signed up to Unlimited Max 14 days ago and have absolutely rinsed the data and have gotten speeds up to 600 meg on 5G even today.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

600mps!! @simax I thought my 250 was impressive, I'm soooo jealous!

simax

I kid you not Mark.... shame I’m just literally about 50 metres away from 5G coverage at home. Our local street mast 50 yards away got permission back in June for a 5G upgrade - just waiting for that now....

Thanks very much for the feedback. Is there any positive feedback from users who have been using this service for over a month?

I subscribed to an EE unlimited data SIM last December and it was incredible for about 6 weeks...then purgatory!! Approx 2MB all day every day.  I added ADSL broadband and bonded together which gives us 8-9MB on a good day...but it is not a good solution.

I am quite happy to pay for a decent service but I don't want to buy into something else only to find out that the service is capped in a less than transparent way.

Thanks for any feedback.

I also had a really good thing going with 20GB data previously and getting decent connection speeds and now with the upgrade to Unlimited MAX which was done a couple of months back, I feel I am being taken advantage of. The speeds drop down to at times to 0MB and this whilst showing I have full 4 bars and using an iPhone SE (2020). I tried this on another iPhone 8 and 7 and a Samsung all showing me similar results, and this too with having the sim card replaced. Surely this is something that definitely needs to be reported to OFCOM.

Ugh, this doesn't sound promising...

I advise you to make sure you get them to put it in their terms to give you money back if service isn’t to standard or just stick to another network. 

Thanks but I'm not sure their going to change the Ts&Cs for me. This is the problem though, if I could rely on the fact that I would have reasonable speed (give or take the odd glitch) then I would sign up in a second but it does appear - from the evidence presented here and my own experience - that Vodafone (and other suppliers) appear to actively reduce the available speed after a certain amount of data has been downloaded. Whether this is done as a cap or a measure to ensure all customers have a good experience, it doesn't matter, but it should be clear in the details of what we're signing up to so that we are able to sign up with our eyes open...I for one am sick of moving services, being amazed by the speed initially, think the problem is solved, feel happy, feel annoyed after a month or two when the speed drops. pointless.

More evidence of throttling on unlimited MAX. I too have collected evidence of 10Mbit/s throttling on an unlimited MAX account. Hopefully this is related to an underlying technical glitch on specific masts (security board on one mast needed replacing apparently) rather than an intentional policy on the part of Vodafone. But given the prevalence of this issue and the way it is affecting many users, I think Vodafone should implement a proper network-wide investigation to identify and resolve this issue. Else this threatens to undermine Vodafone's reputation in the 4G service industry.