Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrading via Carphone Warehouse

GreggyGregGreg
4: Newbie

If I upgrade my phone via Carphone Warehouse, does my contract remain with Vodafone, or does it change to Carphone? 

I have also read others' concerns on here with their existing SIMs being deactivated, leaving them without a phone until they receive their new ones.  Is that still an issue?

18 REPLIES 18

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @GreggyGregGreg 

Upgrading through a third party is a good idea, it can save you a lot of money.  You will still be a Vodafone customer, for airtime and will continue to be billed by Vodafone, with any handset issues being taken up with Carphone.

The problem you are going to have will be with the number swap, Carphone will sell a new contract with a new number but simple enough to solve but it's going to mean cancelling your previous contract and putting the number on PAYG by porting out the number to any other network and back into Vodafone.  See the follow previous threads.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Transfer-number-to-contract-purchased-from-third-party/t...

p/2659489

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Opening-new-contract-keeping-same-number/m-p/2671532#

If that's the case, why are Carphone asking for my existing number, if they're not going to use it?

And if I upgrade via Carphone, does that mean my existing number becomes non-functioning, so that I end up not having a working phone until my new one arrives? 

And why can't Carphone just send the new phone and I just put my existing SIM in it when I'm ready to use the phone?

Surely they cannot end my contract, as it doesn't end until May 2021, but I am eligible to upgrade 

And surely I cannot follow the process you've described, as I would have to pay early termination charges?

But Carphone should be making the process a lot clearer on their website. I thought it was supposed to be easier for consumers these days to upgrade and stuff? 

AnnS

Hi @GreggyGregGreg 

You need to be out of contract or you will be charged all the early termination charges.  Carphone will always want you to take a new contract and number, this is where the money is and is a lot more lucrative for them.

If you contract does not end until May next year it looks like you  are upgrading early using the flexible upgrade option, you will then need to go direct with Vodafone.

None this is made clear. 

When I go on Carphone's website, there's a tool which I used to see if I was eligible to upgrade, and it says I am eligible. At no point does it mention early termination fees, as it just feels as thought I'm upgrading my existing contract. 

Surely this is miss-selling, and is illegal? 

And if this is the case, why are Vodafone telling Carphone that I am eligible, and why are they sharing my data with them to allow them to miss-sell me something? 

As far as I understand things @GreggyGregGreg CPW can just upgrade you and you retain your number. 

No new sim.

You become their customer with Vodafone providing the network connection and Collect the monthly payment.

What a person can miss out on is discounts such as employers discount i.e VEA if they don't upgrade direct with Vodafone.

What I sometimes see is a person goes into CPW and they try to sell a new contract instead i.e a 2nd line and suggest you then ask Vodafone to move your old number to the new contract. 

I'm wondering if CPW get a bigger kickback for opening up a new contract !

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

That's how I read it, in which case Ann is talking rubbish. But it would be nice if things were clear, as Ann may be correct?