Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Username and password

BSM48
4: Newbie

I have just been through trauma where my account username was changed twice and my password three times by Vodafone agents. They have had to set me up a new account.

As part of the saga I was told that usernames and passwords must be in capitals. I have seen no notifications about this anywhere but have a transcript of the agent's chat.

Can anyone shed any light on this mess?

Further to the above I have tried to change my username from the one that the agent applied but every one I try is rejected as already in use. This stretches credibility to the limits. The page for changing the username also does not show any limitations on case, characters, format etc.

17 REPLIES 17

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for updating us @BSM48 - it can usually take up to 48 hours for the team to complete this process. Are you able to try registering again and accessing your online account through a different username and password of your choice?

Thanks @Tash

If I try to re-register it bombs me out when I enter my Vodafone mobile no. saying that I'm already registered. If I seek assistance for either forgotten username or password I get blocked. When I ask what my username is, and input what it tells me, it says that I'm not registered!!

So, in essence, I can't re-register or access or anything.

I spent 40 years in IT and this system wouldn't have got past the first testing stage.

Just finished my 4th chat session in as many weeks since the account was still not accepting login after the third reset.

Managed to get escalated to tech team and went through it all again. Turns out the system wouldn't accept my email address as a username!!

The agent also reiterated that the username MUST be in caps. I don't know of another system or web-site that demands this and I spent 40 years in IT.

I was also asked to login using Chrome. My default browser is Firefox.

You couldn't make it up.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry it's taken longer than expected to get this sorted for you @BSM48. Was everything resolved during your call with our Tech team?

Thank you @Mark

Yes. I logged in successfully on Chrome twice and Firefox once.

I asked about format and content of usernames but was only told that it had to be caps. I asked about special characters but only got confirmation of full stop (period) and hash (pound sign?). So I'm no further ahead with the rules.

We'll see how it goes.

This experience has raised my level of dissatisfaction about Vodafone. This is not the first time I've had a problem that lasted for weeks. At the beginning of last year I had appalling speeds, like 15Mbs download. In the end I had to upgrade my plan to get anything acceptable. So to fix the problem I had to spend money.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I glad the tech team were able to get that sorted for you @BSM48 and you've been able to login!

In regards to whether the username is case sensitive or not, being a Vodafone customer myself I have just logged into my account using lower case so I can assure you that the username is not case sensitive. Also, the usage of special characters and which ones are accepted is usually stated when re-creating a username.

I do understand you frustration with is, and if there is anything we can do to help in regards to your online account or broadband speeds please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you @Evie

From agent in latest Chat session:

Rikenkumar : Yes, however when you login into your Vodafone account, the username needs to be entered in uppercase.
Rikenkumar : I understand that but MyVodafone account requires username as uppercase as a minimum requirement
Rikenkumar : . . . . MyVodafone online account requires username in uppercase and special characters are allowed as you can see there is a dot (.) as a special character in your new username.
So, the agent said three times that username must be in caps. And also in the previous two Chat sessions. Who is correct?

Glynnevans
1: Seeker

You correct on username.   Unlike the rest of planet earth the username must be caps.   The password does not but is of course case sensitive.  The weird experience is first time you log in leaves cookies on that browser so that you select a phone number to get secure one off code.  If you go to different browser on same PC you will have enter username all caps!!!! This is a) nuts b) no more secure just annoying.