cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone saying eligible for upgrade repeatedly and then declining it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I took out an Unlimited sim for £30 per month in December with two additional lines for £10 for 100GB each.

In the App it sent me notifications that I could upgrade to a handset, I even received emails over the last couple of weeks.

I looked and seen that if I took a handset out I could move to 150GB for £10 per month for 6 months and then £20 there after, I could put up with more of my work wifi as it's improved.  I thought that would do, it's a good saving and I could make use of the S22 and pass my (bought outright off Amazon) x3 Neo to my daughter.  I liked the feel of the S22 and it's smaller stature, I accepted it's battery is only 3700mah.

Well the website jumped to immediately fail the credit check.  Spoke via chat and they said I would be eligible to try again in 90 days to which I said no and in fact I would look to move away at the end of this contract as I've never been so embarassed and frustrated.  To add insult the app is still telling me I'm eligible for a handset and to take additional lines.  Grrrrr.  As my credit score is good, no issues, I can only assume that they had done the maths like me and figured out I'd save £300 by changing tariffs and they decided "You're not having that!"

My 20 year old was nearly taking my advice to switch to Vodafone and decided to take a new contract with o2.

I am not persuing some kind of begging routine with Vodafone, they said no once I won't let them say no a second time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

The experience you have had trying to upgrade to an Evo contract certainly deserves an explanation from Vodafone, hopefully this will be picked up by the Social Team.

As far as the credit check is concerned, it's unlikely the check would have even been completed until the following working day.  The only thing I can think of is you were upgrading your main contract and paying less for the airtime part of the contract on a monthly basis and the airtime part of the contract needs to be equivalent or more.  As far as is known when you upgrade from SIM only to a handset contract, Vodafone would be writing off what remains of the SIM only.

I certainly wish you all the best and hope you find the reason for being declined an upgrade from SIM only to a full Evo contract.

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

BandOfBrothers

Vodafone would advise to leave a period of 90 days to allow your credit file to recover @Anonymous 

We have seen instances where the credit check has occasionally declined in error for some reason, and so Vodafone customer service have been able perform the check manually.

Unfortunately Vodafone's systems don't say why a Credit Check has been declined on that it has.

I wish you all the best on how you eventually proceed. :Smiling: 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying

I'm aware of the 90 days for credit score recovery.

They credit scored me when I joined sim only, then added two lines but not credit worthy enough with Vodafone to secure a few hundred towards the handset.  I increased the upfront and reduced the 36 month term to 24, as I said my main goal was to secure the 150gig tariff instead of the unlimited that suited me back then but not now.

I believe they are protecting the revenue under the guise of failing the credit check.  I'll keep to my word and what I have but will not renew at the end of my contract unless it's spectacularly discounted.  And judging things so far it isn't likely.

My daugher just took out an Oppo x5 with o2 for £20 a month and 250GB at £22.  Collecting a £300 giftcard after 3 months.  That's why I explored Vodafone highlighting my, now false, upgrade options.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome for my reply @Anonymous  👍

I would have assumed if Vodafone wouldn't want their consumers to have a tariff or phone deal then they wouldn't put it as an option in the first place.

I appreciate and understand that your unimpressed but I'm not sure a company would intentionally fail a credit check to stop a deal.

It's an automated process.

Vodafone offer a 14 day cooling off period to cancel an upgrade or new contract to return to a previous tariff in regards to a recent upgrade.

A person in that position could then explore new contracts through an independent such as CPW and then transfer their original number onto the new contract. [ there are ways and means of achieving this ]

Or like your choice that you've stated acquire a Pac from Vodafone to move to a new network taking the mobile number with you, obviously ensuring the new network provides adequate signal and data speeds where they reside , commute and work etc.

Take care and all the best. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Anonymous 

The experience you have had trying to upgrade to an Evo contract certainly deserves an explanation from Vodafone, hopefully this will be picked up by the Social Team.

As far as the credit check is concerned, it's unlikely the check would have even been completed until the following working day.  The only thing I can think of is you were upgrading your main contract and paying less for the airtime part of the contract on a monthly basis and the airtime part of the contract needs to be equivalent or more.  As far as is known when you upgrade from SIM only to a handset contract, Vodafone would be writing off what remains of the SIM only.

I certainly wish you all the best and hope you find the reason for being declined an upgrade from SIM only to a full Evo contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply I think that's what was occuring I explained in a Vodafone shop to a guy and he seemed to think I was profiting so they wouldn't allow it but wasn't sure.  I said saving money as a consumer isn't making profit - that's what the company does but I understood his point of view - I didn't go in to be challenging I just wanted to play with demo phones.

The maths worked out that I'd save £300 over the 24 months compared to what remains on my current contract and thus taking the S22 would only affect my bottom line by £400.  Due to offering my middle daughter my x3 Neo as this seemed to be a good deal (and then Vodafone declined the credit check) I'm honouring my word to my daughter and giving her my reasonably new phone so I am looking to buy another phone outright again.  Wife isn't happy. 😍

I won't purchase with Vodafone and the app still says/notifications for upgrades available for handsets.  😠  Pushing handset offers that I can afford but you won't sell me Vodafone.   🤔  I'll be making a move to EE as my Broadband is BT....  it's along way off at about a year and a bit but I do hold grudges with companies.  My eldest stayed with o2 for another 3 years as she wouldn't apply to Vodafone after this happened.  She's a software engineering student (3rd year) on placement at a good company with good salary and again no issues with credit. 

Likely to get my s22 off Argos when they have stock. (nectar and employee perks where I'll get discount of the upfront price)

BandOfBrothers

Fair enough @Anonymous 

Samsung UK Online last time I checked were offering a set of Samsung Galaxy Buds Live and a Disney+ subscription promotion and Samsung SmartTag+ with the purchase of the Samsung Galaxy s²² series.

I think argos are offering the Disney+ subscription. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Thank you for your rely to my post @Anonymous 

I am glad all worked out well for you.  

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous - thanks for taking your time to explain what’s happened. When applying for a phone contract through us now, this is taken out as part of a loan agreement. Within this, there’s a credit check and some affordability questions that we’d go through.

When a credit check declines, we don’t see the reason why from our side, although we do have a Credit Assessment team that this can be checked with if there’s a dispute with the decision. This would be done by calling our Sales team and advising the situation.

I’m sorry that your app is still advising that you can upgrade to a phone, when the credit check's declined. I can completely understand your frustration with this. I’d like us to investigate this for you and get this fed back. So that we can do this, please contact my team through  Social Media. To save you explaining everything again, please include a link to this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not pursuing this.  I purchased an S22 outright with Argos today receiving Galaxy Buds Pro free.

(Gave daughter my x3 neo and put the earphones away for her birthday in 2 weeks)

I intend to use the SIMS until I can terminate the contract on the additional lines followed by my main one, as they are shorter contracts, what I would love is a material change to contract terms so I could exit without penalty.  The network signal and speeds are actually good, it's just any time I interact with Vodafone I end up with a bad taste in my mouth so I will avoid that until I can leave.

I can't see anything wrong with my credit score, have no outstanding debts or late payments and I am not overstretched financially.  Credit utilisation is less than 20%.  I won't say your loss Vodafone as one customer in millions matters not, it's actually my loss, as I opened my mouth to my youngest daughter and committed to changing my phone costing myself £769 minus promotions.  On the plus side I am enjoying being back with Samsung with a small handset and away from the Chinese brands.