cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why can’t I have Wi-fi Calling AND Alexa/OneNumber enabled?

neil_c
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Dealing with customer service reps has left me super frustrated.

I’m a big Vodafone fan and am always willing to recommend people to the service (I have recently renewed my own contract too), but the last few days have left me exasperated.

I’m currently away in Norfolk, where there is little to no Vodafone reception. To overcome this, I thought I’d turn on Wi-fi calling on my XS Max, but when I do, I’m presented with a message telling me to contact Vodafone U.K.

I have been doing this since last week and still don’t have Wi-fi calling.

I’ve been told it’s to due me having the new Alexa calling feature enabled on my account, but as easy as that was for me to enable, it appears beyond anyone’s reach within Vodafone to disable it so that I can enable standard IPhone Wi-fi calling.

I have already postponed a telephone interview for a job from Monday night (they are calling from San Francisco), as I was told it would be fixed **by** Tuesday.

Yet, despite a promise of a phone call from the lady I spoke to, nothing.

I rang again today, only to be told, that this CS rep will escalate my issue and call me back on, wait for it...Friday.

I’m shocked that Vodafone can manage to offer their latest 5G network, with unlimited data, etc, but no one can manage to get what I’d call a non modern feature working.

can anyone actually help?

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@neil_c 

Customer service on 191 or Live Chat can cancel the Alexa service as per the advice in OneNumber/Amazon

I'm also unable to find any faqs stating wifi calling would be affected if this service is activated.

The info I have on setting up with calling and maybe beneficial to try again is...

Calling Over WiFi Set up.

Ask the agent to force the phone via sending an OTA configuration update that should provision your phone for Calling Over WiFi. 

"Register for Vodafone Wi-Fi Calling.

Text the word CALLING to 97888

This is a free text which will add the service to your account.

You should receive the following confirmation text:

Thanks.

We’ll add Wi-Fi Calling to your account in the next 24 hours and will let you know when you’re all set up.

If you’d like to discuss this with us, or if you have any other issues, you can find more info here or contact-us.

Once you receive the confirmation text, switch on Wi-Fi Calling in your settings

Go to Settings, scroll down and choose the Application icon.

Choose Phone and scroll down until you see Wi-Fi Calling – select the box beside this option.

A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm if you want to enable Wi-Fi Calling – tap OK"

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is that Vodafone just can’t seem to do what you’ve just posted.

I’ve been through all of those steps with different reps, only to be told that it “needs escalating” and they be back in touch within 24 hours (which then doesn’t happen).

BandOfBrothers

Ah ok.

You do have another option which is to engage with the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Facebook and Twitter.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Tried that too. :Sad_face:

i just cant understand how hard this can be...

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@neil_c  - I’m sorry this hasn’t been resolved for you. What’s the Twitter or Facebook username you’ve contacted us from?

Thanks @gemma but I got so tired of waiting, I emailed Nick Jeffrey’s office on Monday afternoon. 

I had an automated “we’re looking into this for you” email, followed by a call earlier today, where the lady said she try again tomorrow-can’t anyone just redial 10 minutes later, given they’ve mucked me around all week (apparently not).

I rang back and spoke to a lady who confirmed that you cannot in fact have Alexa calling and Wi-fi calling both enabled, and that I’d have to contact Amazon to remove the Alexa feature, even though Vodafone had launched and enabled it for me, and then ring back.

So I did that and Amazon removed it for me on the spot.

I then rang Vodafone back and spoke to someone else who confirmed it was now off of my account and that Wi-fi calling “should” be live again, in the next 24 hours.

In the meantime, I’m getting emails about jobs, telling me they have been trying to reach me and asking if my phone is switched off.

Clearly the new Alexa calling wasn’t thought out properly and how Vodafone can manage to enable it, yet require me to call Amazon to disable it is pretty poor.

So it appears I’ve been an unpaid beta tester for Vodafone, having now discovered that you can’t have both of these features on your account.

I live in hope that I’ll get Wi-fi calling back.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@neil_c  - I hope your Wi-Fi Calling is working now! If it isn’t, please get back in touch with us through Facebook PM or Twitter DM.

Just.

It was finally confirmed as working about 30 minutes ago.

apparently it took them over 24 hours to get the Alexa calling removed by/with Amazon.

davidm_uk
4: Newbie

Wow, I can't believe it took me so long to find this. I have some Vodafone reception at home but not much, and so rely on WiFi calling. This stopped working some time ago, and I've spent months trying to get it working again. (Partly my fault - I gave up in frustration the first time.) Only today did someone in cancellations mention that she had heard of issues with WiFi calling when Alexa/OneNumber was enabled.

Very disappointing to have to disable/remove Alexa/OneNumber - it's an excellent service and one that has kept me with Vodafone. However, for Vodafone support not to pick up on this immediately on my account when I reported lack of WiFi calling is inexcusable. They also need better training on how to check whether of not WiFi calling is enabled. This article is the best I've found: https://www.macworld.com/article/234164/wi-fi-calling-check-active.html. “Wi-Fi” as text following your carrier's name. Just having a WiFi network symbol present does not indicate working WiFi calling!