Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

eSIM Questions

deryklane85
4: Newbie

Hi there,

Im thinking of changing over to a eSIM now that its been around for a while, i've read all the ' gone wrong stories' and had a few questions of my own that I haven't seen here on the Forum ( apologies if they are here)...

1, Does roaming work the same? I travel a lot and want to make sure I can still roam for free in the 83 countries on my plan? (id hate to arrive and not have set something up before I left the UK) and for the rest il buy a local sim, 

2, does my visual voicemail still work the same? 

3, What is the process to move the sim to a new phone? the site doesn't really give much info- just the way you set up the first one, is the process the same? just scan your QR code from your old phone to the new phone? 

4, And finally, I've seen some Vodafone employees here on the site,  comment that if you kept your original physical sim, they can reactivate it at some point in the future if needs be,? im assuming In the case of if your phone is lost or stolen or needs repair, you could re-actiavte your original physical sim that you swapped and not have any down time waiting for a new blank one to arrive? is this option still available ?

Thanks, 

7 REPLIES 7

Steph

Hey @deryklane85 I hope you're well 😊

In terms of Roaming and Visual Voicemail, these will work exactly the same with an eSIM as they do with a physical SIM. 

When you want to move your eSIM to a new phone, all you should need to do is have both phones set up on eSIMs and then you can connect them via WiFi and do an eSIM transfer from the old phone to the new one. This works in a similar way to transferring your files and photos from one phone to another. 

Reactivating the original SIM is something that we can do as a one off if your phone is lost or stolen. 

The best team to speak to if you have any questions at all about the eSIM and the way it works is actually the Sales team as they are fully trained and up to date on everything eSIM related 🙂 You can call them on 191 or drop them a message here

Hi there thanks for getting back to me, I tried the esim yesterday, it didn’t work, I was also told there’s a problem with them and they don’t always  go through leaving you with out a usable number so you can’t access services like banking, after a lot of twitter messages I got my physical sim moved over, I don’t think until the process actually works smoothly i will try esim again , I couldn’t imagine the hassle this would cause me when the new iPhone comes out , I’m just glad I could stay up until 5 am ago get this sorted, I really appreciate the info , it was something I would want to know anyway… 

Thanks for getting back to me @deryklane85 I'm sorry you had such a poor experience with the eSIM yesterday! Thank you for letting me know, I'll get this raised with the team so that we can make sure these issues are being thoroughly investigated and resolved. 

MONKEYFACE6840
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My advice… go to the shop to do it! If you do it yourself and it’s doesn’t go through you’ll be stuck with no phone signal until they sort it out. Even if you keep your physical sim it won’t work and they can’t re activate it if your ESiM request is still in the system. 
More trouble than it’s worth in my opinion. 

Don’t get me wrong… when it works it brilliant… but when it doesn’t it’s a pain in the backside. 

Hey,

My eSsim move was a disaster, they did reactivate my physical sim, I didn't need to go to any shop or anything, I just gave them my original physical number and once they actioned it, my service was restored, I won't be trying eSim anytime again soon, 

They’ve said they can’t reactivate my sim until the cancellation has cleared from their system… but that’s been ages now as that one is stuck open 

i'm not sure about that, I messaged on twitter saying that I saw online they can reactivate my sim I tried to swap,  , they asked for the sim number in DM, and about 30 seconds later it was back up… I don't know why they didnt set it up that your physical sim only stops working once you get the QR email.. alarmingly I was also told that when the Esim didnt move over that there was "no timescale for it to be resolved" which panicked me, so just indefinitely with out service,