Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

eSIM Swap FAILURE

jkwelsh
4: Newbie

I have  Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, it had my VF eSIM activated.

I purchased a new phone - A Galaxy Fold3, and wanted to transfer my eSIM from old phone to new phone.

Using the My Vodafone app on the Note 20, I went through all the steps to carry out a SIM Swap, and at the end of the process received the QR code via the app.

Went to my Fold3 - eSIM, Add mobile plan.  Scanned the QR code from my Note 20, and thats as far as I got.

Ive now been without any operating SIM since the 1st September, and Im going around in circles with the VF Tech Team - We will cancel the SIM Swap, and get you a physical SIM, which you can then convert to an eSIM on the new phone, but it will take up to 24 hours.  That was three days ago, and they still cant cancel the SIM swap request.  Apparently there is an "Open Order" for a SIM swap, and no one has been able to figure out a way to close it, despite trying, and submitting manual requests etc.

When I scanned the new QR code onto the Fold3, I got the following error message - "Your mobile plan is already being used by another device.  For more information contact your service provider.  Error Code SVR_8.1.1/3.8"

My SIM no longer registers on the network, and anyone calling the number gets a permanently engaged tone 😡

I've been a VF customer for 20 years, and have had my number for just as long.

Now Im unable to access anything that has 2 Factor Authentication set up - Banking, security, Network, PayPal etc.  And to change the number to a new number, you need - yeap, the original number working to pass the 2FA security 👎

Im so p!ssed off at VF right now Im ready to terminate my contracts.......

Anyone had similar problems when swapping an eSIM to a new phone??

John.

C Level Mobile Telecoms Professional

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I think what's happened here is that there are different people looking into your complaint and probably thought that you were still without service. They have probably started to implement the fix that Vodafone had already done to restore your service? A case of left hand doesn't know what the right is doing (Probably didn't bother reading the notes on the account too!).

It's because of this thread I ditched eSIM and went back to a traditional SIM!

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved sooner rather than later.

Good Luck!

View solution in original position

43 REPLIES 43

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @jkwelsh 

I have seen posts as to where a person has run into some technical issues with first setting up an eSim.

However I've not seen one where a person has moved from one phone with eSim to another phone and then using a Sim Swap process to move the eSim over.

I appreciate you've spoken with customer services already and they are still trying to help, but I would also suggest having a word with the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter DM or Facebook Messenger and link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself. Unfortunately they can't help from here as there is no account access via the Vodafone Community Forum.

It wouldn't harm to involve the Team too.

On a personal note I've decided to stick with a physical sim card myself.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Quick update:

[Day 6 without a working eSIM]

Spent about 40 minutes on the phone with CS this morning (Monday 6 Sep)

I've been told that the likely reason for the initial failure was because I didn't delete the eSIM from the original phone, before I scanned the QR code with the Flip3.  Not that it tells you to actually do that at any point during the SIM Swap guide that you follow within the My VF App 🤔

Old eSIM setting now completely deleted from my Note20U (It was still on the phone, but not registered on the network)

Two QR Codes later, and still no working eSIM 😡

However the error message has now changed to "This code isn't valid or has already been used"

Very apologetic Tech Support have now escalated this to the Senior Tech Support Team.  He tells me that will definitely be resolved, but it may take up to 24 hours to issue a new QR code.  

Thats what I was told 120Hrs+ ago 👏👏👏

Couldn't make this up.

Oh, and seems I can't port to a new provider, as the existing eSIM number is not showing as active on the system.

Time to hit social media.

So, 24hrs after the last contact and request for yet another QR code, and its still not been generated, so Im assuming there is still an ongoing technical issue with transferring an existing eSIM to a new phone using the eSIM Swap Process.

I received a SMS (on a different number) saying to expect a call from the Advanced Tech Support team at 1pm today.

Keep us updated with how you get on with the Technical Support Team please @jkwelsh

Update Day 7:

So I received the call back from Tech Support today (Tuesday 7 Sep @1:30pm)

The eSIM procedure for generating a QR Code has (again) failed on my account (surprise!)  and is yet again stuck in the "Open Order" condition, more than 24Hrs after the last request was sent. ☹️

I feel like Im really running out of options, and we are simply going around in circles now.

My number is still unregistered on the network.

I will give them one more 24hr period to get this sorted, otherwise I'm terminating all my contracts and will start the painful process of trying to update all my 2 Factor Authentication accounts to a new provider - which is not easy, since you need 2FA to actually be working in order to effect any changes 😪

As a former Vodafone employee, I am extremely disappointed at their inability to resolve this, and will be terminating my contracts in due course and porting them to another operator.

One of the suggestions from the tech Support Team was to log into "MyVodafone" account online, and set up a redirect, so that I should at least be able to receive any calls to my eSIM number on an alternative VFUK PAYG SIM which Im using at the moment (and they made me PAY £10 for 😡)

Not possible without 2FA - that uses the eSIM number that cant be accessed 👎

If you can send us a message on Facebook or Twitter using the link sent over by Farai, we'll be happy to take a look at what the technical team have advised and what the next steps are. 

@MarkD

Unfortunately your FB Messenger AI hasn't a clue what an eSIM is, so its difficult to even engage via that social media route.  Have spent hours on calls with CS Agents over the last 7 days trying to resolve this, to no avail.

I'll wait and see what the next 24hours brings.

I already posted on your twitter feed.

If you would like us to check your account, when you drop us a private message just select 'Get Started' followed by 'Asked to DM'. This will get you connected to one of our team 🙂