Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

eSIM Swap FAILURE

jkwelsh
4: Newbie

I have  Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, it had my VF eSIM activated.

I purchased a new phone - A Galaxy Fold3, and wanted to transfer my eSIM from old phone to new phone.

Using the My Vodafone app on the Note 20, I went through all the steps to carry out a SIM Swap, and at the end of the process received the QR code via the app.

Went to my Fold3 - eSIM, Add mobile plan.  Scanned the QR code from my Note 20, and thats as far as I got.

Ive now been without any operating SIM since the 1st September, and Im going around in circles with the VF Tech Team - We will cancel the SIM Swap, and get you a physical SIM, which you can then convert to an eSIM on the new phone, but it will take up to 24 hours.  That was three days ago, and they still cant cancel the SIM swap request.  Apparently there is an "Open Order" for a SIM swap, and no one has been able to figure out a way to close it, despite trying, and submitting manual requests etc.

When I scanned the new QR code onto the Fold3, I got the following error message - "Your mobile plan is already being used by another device.  For more information contact your service provider.  Error Code SVR_8.1.1/3.8"

My SIM no longer registers on the network, and anyone calling the number gets a permanently engaged tone 😡

I've been a VF customer for 20 years, and have had my number for just as long.

Now Im unable to access anything that has 2 Factor Authentication set up - Banking, security, Network, PayPal etc.  And to change the number to a new number, you need - yeap, the original number working to pass the 2FA security 👎

Im so p!ssed off at VF right now Im ready to terminate my contracts.......

Anyone had similar problems when swapping an eSIM to a new phone??

John.

C Level Mobile Telecoms Professional

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

I think what's happened here is that there are different people looking into your complaint and probably thought that you were still without service. They have probably started to implement the fix that Vodafone had already done to restore your service? A case of left hand doesn't know what the right is doing (Probably didn't bother reading the notes on the account too!).

It's because of this thread I ditched eSIM and went back to a traditional SIM!

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved sooner rather than later.

Good Luck!

View solution in original position

45 REPLIES 45

Update Day 21 (Supplemental)

SERVICE HAS BEEN RESTORED after 22 days.

A new QR code was issued this morning to activate the eSIM service, and successfully applied to the account.

I know (from talking direct to the tech team back office) that this has taken a significant amount of time and resources to resolve.  Hopefully they can deep-dive what went wrong and prevent any other customers suffering a similar fate when swapping eSIMS to a new device.

Thanks for the comments.

Signing off 😄

WelshPaul

You're still sticking with eSIM? lol

Great to hear that your service has been restored! 👍

I travel globally with work.  

The eSIM allows me keep my UK number working, whilst I have other local SIMs active in the two physical slots.(Well, not Slot 2 as thats used by the eSIM when in use, but I can switch back and forth between the physical SIM in Slot #2 and the eSIM)

Critical for 2FA when accessing stuff remotely - hence my exasperation with the recent problem...  

Luckily I bought my new phone in the UK and not on my travels, and was in the UK when trying to execute the swap 🙄

Update day 24

You seriously couldn't make this level of incompetence up 😡😡😡

SERVICE DISCONNECTED & UNAVAILABLE AGAIN

I didn't even get 24 hours of service, before Vodafone disconnected my eSIM and deleted the number from my account.  Lost 2 Factor Authentication AGAIN!!!! 😤

I am so OVER Vodafone and will be terminating my accounts at the first possible opportunity.

Sheer incompetence comes to mind.

Follow up email to CEO sent.

WelshPaul

I think what's happened here is that there are different people looking into your complaint and probably thought that you were still without service. They have probably started to implement the fix that Vodafone had already done to restore your service? A case of left hand doesn't know what the right is doing (Probably didn't bother reading the notes on the account too!).

It's because of this thread I ditched eSIM and went back to a traditional SIM!

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved sooner rather than later.

Good Luck!

@welshpaul

Thats exactly whats happening, but thats outside of my control, and completely within Vodafones.

In the meantime I'm without service again 😡

Update Day 26

Had two calls from Senior Managers within UK, on behalf of the CEO, both very apologetic about the situation and explaining that a manual, high priority connection order had been placed, and expressing every confidence that the service would be restored within 24 hours (sounds familiar....) following a second "account cleansing" activity - whatever that is...  That was Friday evening.

Fast forward to today (Sunday) and I still cant register on the network 😡

26 Days without connection

26 Days without 2 Factor Authentication

Tomorrows call from the Directors Office should be interesting.

John.

Day 27 Update

27 days without service (Im not counting the half day it actually worked, before they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!)

27 Days without 2 Factor Authentication

And now, if number is called it returns an unobtainable/not in service tone to the caller.  This is not a good sign 😡

When I purchased the Galaxy Fold 3, I elected to trade in my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G.

Today I missed the return by  window, because of this 2FA issue, and instead had to pay an additional £600 to offset the trade in allowance.

I JUST WANT MY NUMBER WORKING 😥 

WelshPaul

Absolutely ridiculous situation you have found yourself in! 

By the sounds of things, they just fobbing you off while crossing their fingers that it all just sorts itself out within 24 hours! Clearly Vodafone have no idea what they are doing and the "high priority connection order" isn't worth the paper it's written on (wouldn't be surprised if they used paper and a second class stamp to post it).

@WelshPaul

I really cant blame the CS agents who have always tried to be as helpful as possible, and sympathetic to the situation, however they are just following a script, in common with every other operator.

Whats annoying is that even when I tell them that Ive heard it all before regarding the 24hr fix, they then say its been escalated and they cant do anything for the next 24 hours.

There has not been one call from anyone in the Technical Team to try and explain whats going on, which is very disappointing.