Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NUC not unlocking Sony Xperia XZ

Williamduff
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have followed the instructions on the Vodafone site and received the NUC for my old Sony handset but when I enter it, it just says unsuccessful. 

What can be done to unlock the phone? 

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Usually its nust a case of inserting another UK Network Sim card in the phone that's activated works @Williamduff  as per the info in How-do-I-use-my-nuc.

I assume your also in the UK when trying to unlock as Vodafone cannot guarantee that the unlocking code will work if a person is abroad.

If your still stuck at unlocking the phone then customer service on 191 or Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can help support you and if necessary give you the Nuc email address to contact them directly.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes, in the UK with a Virgin Mobile sim and have followed the instructions to the letter but no success. Thanks for the tips, I'll try the other routes for assistance. 

You're very welcome @Williamduff 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Williamduff 

Please try this.

Insert your new SIM card and tap in the IMEI number when the phone asks you for the SIM network unlock PIN.  This will be followed by your NUC.

You can find the IMEI number of the phone by dialling *#06# send, you will need to make a note of the number because this will be easily forgotten.

Hopefully the phone will be unlocked after trying the above.

Did this method work? I'm having the same issue but only have 2 attempts left so don't want to risk anything

Nope. Nothing provided by Vodafone worked. They were incredibly unhelpful and have now lost my custom. Bought a new handset and a Virgin Sim for my boy and when my current contract ends I'll be ditching them too. 

There's no excuse for such poor customer service. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Williamduff We're always here to help should you ever change your mind! Our team are available 24/7 for any queries you may have in the future with your number. We wouldn't like to see you leave us and are only ever a message away if you need us.
@RichyPeee I can see we've replied to your other post with details on how you can reach our team directly. We'll get your phone unlocked for you 👍

Words are all well and good. 

I've been given useless advice by your store staff, online chat bot and your call centre staff. 

3 different sets of "help" with absolutely no progress. 

So excuse me if I repeat that Vodafone's customer service is appaling and this intervention only makes it worse. 

Perhaps if a single Vodafone employee took ownership of the issue instead of following scripts I'd have a resolution and you wouldn't be losing a customer you've had for decades. 

My story so far @Williamduff - 

Some Sony users appear to be having difficulty with the unlock codes provided by Vodafone, seemingly because they are incorrect for some reason unknown. I found this out after entering the incorrect code 3 times which leaves me with just 2 further attempts before my 'spare' phone I'm trying to unlock becomes a brick (or at least not unlockable).

Nothing suggested in the forum posts or email received works so the last resort for is to contact Voda customer services - I've done this and an update/message has been forwarded to the NUC Team (who you can't contact directly).

It's been 24 hours so far and I have just this minute received an email...

Please do not respond to this email, this mailbox is not monitored.

ALTERNATIVE UNLOCK CODE

Hello,

You recently asked us to unlock your device (IMEI *****************), so you can use it on another network. We’re sorry to hear that the code we’ve given you isn’t working – we know this must be frustrating.

To get things sorted, we’ll reconfirm your unlock code with the manufacturer and get back to you with an update as soon as we can.

Currently I have my home broadband with Voda, and also 2 business accounts for mobile to the tune of around £90 per month - If this takes much longer or ends up bricking my phone I'll be reconsidering my options when the contracts are up

I have to say the helpdesk staff I have spoken with have been very helpful - The weak link seems to be the NUC Team or perhaps even Sony.