Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

ReWhy making it difficult to unlock

cwilse
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

After 25 years of being a customer with 3 sims, now I have to spend more money to unlock a dormant iPhone 8+ - has not been active for 30 days!!!!!!

Vodafone is claiming it is Ofcom that has set the rules but other providers auto unlock when you have paid for it, why is Vodafone stuck in the stone ages. I have spent a week with chats, phone session and get different answers but mainly buy a new SIM and use for 30 days - I have seen many reporting the frustration of this issue and I am still stunned that it is maintained that this is not OUR fault. Vodafone I think you have lost the plot to your clients not only loyal ones but future ones. I will make sure this is spread in media as I think it is unlawful to force us to spend more and to wait 30 days!! If you are hospitalised and your phone is unused, then you get a new one and start using it. 30 days later you can't unlock your old phone unless you use it again....who has made up this outrageous rule.!

I have had enough ! All chats have given different answers to the problem BTW.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

The way I see this is that if a phone hasn't been used on the network for a length of time then the imei can drop off Vodafone's systems. Using it again helps to re latch.

So a person has the option to use a current Vodafone sim card in the phone again making calls etc for 30 days or pick up a Vodafone Payg sim card and use that for the criteria of 30 days to again latch the phone's imei to Vodafone's systems.

Or use a reputable online unlocking site which would cone at a fee from said site.

I totally understand and appreciate what your saying and Ofcom are looking into having Networks supplying phone's unlocked out of the box @cwilse which comes into effect December 2021

Ofcom … mobile-firms-banned-from-selling-locked-handsets. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Well, either way you are forced to spend more money on a network that used to be good.

BandOfBrothers

Yes your right.

Minimum top up to make a few calls and texts is best to show activity with the phone on the network.

Current Phone  >

As I had bought the phone form VF one would assume that the IMEI is easy for them to manually "latch" on. Nothing can change my view on this, unless it could be fixed. A child will be without present as one has to wait 30 days before it arrives... Just wrong! Blaming VF totally for this.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry you feel this way @cwilse, as advised by @BandOfBrothers. If the phone's not been connected to our network for sometime, we'll need you to reconnect it with us for 30 days. This can be through a PAYG SIM, or by popping your Pay monthly SIM in and using it with your current number. After this time, we'll be able to help get your phone unlocked to any network. 

Its like talking to a robot, it has been repeated to me so many times! I still think it is unlawful and will report this. Goodbye 25 years at VF

BandOfBrothers

Hi @cwilse 

“ Nothing can change my view on this

I'm in no way trying to change your view on this situation. It is what it is right now whether a person agrees with it or not.

“ Goodbye 25 years at VF

I wish you well with your new chosen network.

Take care.

Current Phone  >