Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Received a confusing email about unlocking my phone

Asheesh
2: Seeker

BF52DFF6-009B-4BAF-BF2D-F68ECE92E641.jpeg

 recently my sister paid off her contract in full and gave me her phone she had on contract with Vodafone (iPhone 8).

I want to get it unlocked I filled the form for the NUC number, confirmed details. After which it told me it could take 2 day etc etc,

the problem I have, is this email I received after, which has got me confused it says in the subject ‘there is problem with your request’ but in the actual email it doesn’t say anything about a problem just telling me it will take up to 10 days.

Im wandering if I could just ignore this email and wait for code?

the only ‘problem’ I could see is I used my name and email address in the form requesting NUC number.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Have you used a Vodafone Payg sim card in the iPhone for 30 days making calls etc before filling out the Nuc form using the new Vodafone Payg details or has your sister filled out the Nuc form using her details ?

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database.
So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 
The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too)

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you.

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take Apple approximately from a few days upto a further 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
To complete the process please periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 
From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.
When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can check the unlock status request for the account holder  that's filled out the Nuc form.

🌈Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hello, thanks for your reply, no I haven’t used a Pay as you go sim as of yet.

i actually used my own details not my sisters (name and email address) the phone number I provided was my sisters she used with Vodafone since I had the sim still in the phone. Also the IMEI code was accurate too.

whats made this even more annoying is my sister transferred her number to a new provider (same phone number, new network.)

im unsure if that makes a difference or not, if I was to phone customer services I wander if it would be okay if I was to call myself or I should get my sister to phone them instead.

or Infact I’ve done everything correctly and should just wait, this email has really threw me off though.

AnnS

Hi @Asheesh 

You can't call Vodafone, you were not the account holder.  The best way to get this solved and get the phone unlocked is for you to meet the criteria and that is going to mean getting  PAYG  SIM and using it in the phone you want to get unlocked for 30 days (as mentioned by @BandOfBrothers ).  You can get a free SIM here: Free SIM 

When you fully meet the necessary criteria follow this link and unlock the phone as a PAYG customer: Get a network unlock code (NUC) 

I’m not the account holder but my sister is or was, her contract has now ended, is it worth getting her to phone?

or is getting a PAYG the only way? I guess I’m willing to do it but seems silly to me

BandOfBrothers

Phoning won't help as its Apple that ultimately unlock the iPhone centrally once Vodafone contact them @Asheesh 

Apple wouldn't help you with unlocking a network locked phone either unfortunately.

So your sister can still fill out the Nuc form even tho she's no longer a customer / contract ended or you use the Vodafone Payg for 30 days making calls etc and then you fill out the nuc form with your new Vodafone Payg details.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Jonchild77

Hi

Can I ask how this ended up please as am in same situation where have received the same conflicting email

thanks

Stubbo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Jonchild77 

Cheers for dropping us a message! If you pop a message to our Social Media Team here they'll be able have a look at your account and get to the bottom of this. Let us know how you get on!